Skip to content

GC boys at .500 in D-SC after road loss to Colfax

By Cara L. Dempski

COLFAX — You have to hand it to the Hilltopper boys: they played a whopper of a basketball game at Colfax last Friday night.

It was not until the last six minutes that Glenwood City started to fall further behind the Vikings before succumbing to the home team in a 61-50 loss, moving the Toppers to 2-2 in the Dunn-St. Croix for the season.

“I thought we played about 30 minutes of good basketball,” head coach Tristan Kittilson said immediately after. “Sometimes you’ve just got to tip your cap. I thought some of Colfax’s role players stepped up to make some big shots.”

While Kittilson and his Hilltoppers kept the Vikings’ two stars, George Scharlau and Ben Thompson, relatively contained, they had a harder time with senior Treyton Teige and junior Luke Heidorn. The Colfax duo picked up Scharlau and Thompson’s slack, both scoring career-high games in the process.

Glenwood City was actually the first team on the board after Hadin DeSmith sent one through with barely a minute off the clock in the first half. Colfax scored to tie the game with a pair each, and then took a 4-2 lead at 15:18 with a shot from Marcus Reisdorf.

The Hilltoppers responded by going on a nine-point run over the next few minutes, which ended when DeSmith committed a foul on Scharlau as the latter sent up a three-point shot. The Colfax player dropped in two of his three charity throws to make the scoreboard read 11-6 in favor of GC with 13:07 to play in the half.

There was a cat-and-mouse type of game until the Vikings knotted things up at 14 with 10:43 before halftime, and then took a three-point lead on an outside jumper from Scharlau for the board to read 17-14.

The GC boys were not quite ready to give in, though, and snatched the lead back a few minutes later with a shot off the glass from DeSmith to make it 18-17.

Colfax did not hesitate to respond, with Teige taking position deep in the corner to let fly with a three-point shot to recover the lead 20-18.

As time wound down to intermission, DeSmith went to the line after drawing a pair of charity throws off Scharlau with only 49.8 left in the half. He sank the back end of two to take a 25-24 lead, but Thompson got the last word for Colfax as he dropped in a field goal with just 3.2 seconds before halftime to give the home squad a one-point advantage.

The Toppers raced out of the gate early in the second half, taking a 35-28 lead at one point before the Vikings tied things up at 40 midway through the half. From that point on, it was all Colfax, as the home team never relinquished the lead again in the game.

DeSmith led the Hilltoppers with 13 points, while Dillon Hierlmeier and Riley Schutz tied with 12 apiece. Quinn Taylor put in three field goals to score six, Tanner Davis had five, and Peter Hill scored two.

Glenwood City is now 2-2 in the Dunn-St. Croix and 5-6 overall. The Hilltoppers host Boyceville January 11, and then head to Elk Mound January 16.

Glenwood City………………….25  25 — 50
Colfax………………………………26  35 — 61


Glenwood City (21-3-19-50) — D. Hierlmeier 5-0-4-12, P. Hill 1-0-4-2, H. DeSmith 5-1-4-13, Q. Taylor 3-0-2-6, R. Schutz 5-2-3-12, T. Davis 2-0-2-5.

Colfax (19-14-11-61) — B. Thompson 5-1-1-11, G. Scharlau 1-5-5-8, E. Hydukovich 2-0-1-4, T. Teige 6-3-2-20, J. Hellmann 0-0-1-0, M. Reisdorf 1-0-0-2, L. Heidorn 4-5-1-16.

GC — D. Hierlmeier 2, H. DeSmith 2, T. Davis 1; C — G. Scharlau 1, T. Teige 5, L. Heidorn 3.