Skip to content

Boyceville edges Glenwood City by one run to pick up season’s first win

BOYCEVILLE — While all of the other conference baseball and softball teams postponed games last Thursday, Glenwood City and Boyceville decided to brave the elements to play their conference baseball opener against each other.

It was also the Hilltoppers’ first contest of the season while Boyceville had lost its previous two non-conference games including a 13-3 loss to Cumberland two days before.

Both teams got their offenses going early as pitchers struggled throughout the game with their footing and ball control due to the cold and wet conditions.

Boyceville used a four-run fourth inning to break a four-all tie and then held for a 8-7 win as the Toppers’ rally fell short April 9 when the game was stopped after the fifth inning and called complete due to the poor weather conditions.

“Tough for either team to get their footing,” said first-year Boyceville coach Michael Roemhild. “I thought offensively we did well but still made a lot of mental mistakes on the field.”

His Glenwood City coaching counterpart Jake Score echoed those sentiments and added, “As a young team we know we are going to have some growing pains. This was the first varsity start for five of our players.”

“But I was really impressed with the way the young guys stepped up and the older guys lead in adverse conditions,” concluded Score.

Glenwood City opened the game with a pair of hits and a walk off Boyceville starter James Palmer but were unable to plate any runs.

Boyceville, however, was a bit more fortunate in its first look at Glenwood City starter Joel Ormson.

The Toppers’ junior hurler struggled with his control, especially early in the game, and the Bulldogs’ batters took full advantage.

Sophomore Micadin Kahl opened Boyceville first at bat with a single. Senior Tyler Stroo was walked, junior Hunter Anderson had sacrifice for a run. After Brett Boda bounced out to first, James Palmer aided his cause with a double that brought in two more runs for a 3-0 Bulldogs’ lead.

Glenwood City would get all three runs back in the second.

Peter Hill drew a one-out walk and Spencer Peterson and Nick Schone followed with consecutive singles as Hill scored on the latter. Sophomore Jake Logghe then banged a double to right-center to score two runs and knot the game.

Boyceville would add a run in the second to retake the lead but Glenwood City scored a run in the top of the third to tie it once again.

Ormson surrendered four runs and the lead on just one single to the Bulldogs in the bottom of the third as the home team took advantage of four walks and a hit-batsman.

The Toppers took one run back in the fourth when Ormson singled Schone home.

Then in the fifth, Glenwood City’s Jake Kopacz singled to open the inning and scored. Schone scored his second run of the game when Logghe singled him home.

But Hunter Anderson, who relieved Palmer in the third inning, slammed the door to give the Bulldogs a one-run victory when the officials ended the game due to the weather.

Despite going just two innings and surrendering five hits and three runs, Palmer took the win while Anderson picked up the save.

Ormson suffered the defeat after making it just 2 1/3 innings. Mitch Hurtgen finished the last 1 2/3 innings on the mound for Glenwood City.