Wheeler man charged with child sex crimes pleads not guilty, judge schedules speedy trial
PROTECTED CONTENT
If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
Please enter your email and we will send you a password reset link.
By LeAnn R. Ralph
MENOMONIE — A 40-year-old Wheeler man has pleaded not guilty on two felony charges related to sex crimes against children, and a Dunn County judge has scheduled a speedy trial for January.
Nicholas J. Titus appeared in Dunn County Circuit Court November 6 with his attorney Jonathan Lundeen before Judge Luke M. Wagner for an arraignment hearing.
Lundeen told the court that Titus was entering a plea of not guilty and that Titus was asking for a speedy trial, according to on-line court records.
Judge Wagner scheduled a two-day jury trial for later in January.
A final pre-trial is scheduled on December 27.
Titus is charged with one felony count of child enticement by exposing genitals and one felony count of a registered sex offender intentionally photographing a minor without consent.
Both felony counts are charged as a repeat offender.
On September 11 of this year, Dunn County Human Services was contacted by a mandated reporter because the reporter had concerns for the alleged victim, who had disclosed she had been invited to Titus’s house to help him move furniture, according to the criminal complaint.
The alleged victim said Titus had pushed her onto the bed and put his hands down her pants.
A Dunn County deputy met with the alleged victim, who said that Titus “creeps her out” and then said Titus had offered her money to help him with something.
The alleged victim told the deputy she is afraid Titus has done this to other girls.
A few days later, the deputy spoke to the victim’s brother’s girlfriend and asked the girlfriend about Titus.
The girl said Titus had sent her “uncomfortable” text messages and had asked about the size of the underwear that she wore. Titus indicated that he and his girlfriend would like the girl to come to their house so they could check the size of her underwear, according to the criminal complaint.
Titus is a lifetime registrant on the sex offender registry for two convictions in Minnesota for having sexual intercourse with two different 13 year old girls, according to the criminal complaint.
At the time of the November 6 court hearing, Titus remained in custody at the Dunn County jail.
Judge Wagner set bail at $5,000 cash on October 1, with the condition of no contact with girls under the age of 18.

