Skip to content

Man charged with fleeing officers in high-speed chase sentenced to one year in jail

By LeAnn R. Ralph

HUDSON — A 48-year-old Burnsville, Minn., man charged in connection with a high-speed chase that started in St. Croix County and ended with a three-hour standoff in Dunn County has been sentenced to one year in jail.

Raymond Anthony Martin appeared before Judge Edward Vlack in St. Croix County Circuit Court October 7 for a plea and sentencing hearing.

Martin was charged with two felony counts of second-degree recklessly endangering safety and a vehicle operator fleeing an officer and one misdemeanor count of resisting or obstructing an officer.

Martin also was charged with three traffic violations: operating while intoxicated (OWI), first offense; refusal to take the test for intoxication after arrest; and operating a vehicle without a valid driver’s license, first offense.

As part of a plea agreement, Martin pleaded guilty to fleeing an officer and to the OWI first offense.

Judge Vlack accepted Martin’s plea and found him guilty and dismissed the counts of second-degree recklessly endangering safety and resisting an officer as well as dismissed the traffic citations for refusing to take the test for intoxication and operating a vehicle without a valid license.

Judge Vlack sentenced Martin to one year in the county jail to be served concurrently with a Hennepin County case.

Martin may serve the jail term in Hennepin County but must notify the St. Croix County jail, the judge said.

In addition, Judge Vlack granted 12 days of credit for time served in St. Croix County and imposed and suspended court costs and the DNA surcharge.

Martin also was ordered not to possess a firearm.

Regarding the OWI first offense, Martin was fined $811.50. Judge Vlack revoked Martin’s driver’s license for six months and ordered the defendant to complete an alcohol and drug assessment within 30 days.

The St. Croix County Emergency Communication Center received many 911 calls at around 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, September 26, about a vehicle that was moving erratically on I-94, according to a news release from the St. Croix County Sheriff’s Department.

Motorists said that a vehicle near milepost 10 in the Town of Warren had driven into the median, had driven back out and was swerving as it continued eastbound on I-94.

A Woodville police officer saw the vehicle near milepost 24 and tried to stop it, but the vehicle did not stop and increased in speed.

St. Croix County deputies responded, and the vehicle continued eastbound on I-94, driving all over both lanes of the Interstate, and at times, driving down the centerline.

The vehicle failed to stop for emergency vehicles and swerved at a civilian motorist’s vehicle, nearly striking it, near milepost 43.

The Wisconsin State Patrol set up stop sticks at milepost 45 in Dunn County, and after swerving at the state patrol’s squad, the vehicle struck the stop sticks and came to rest in a ditch near milepost 47.

After the vehicle came to rest in the ditch, the driver refused to exit the vehicle.

In what ended up being a three-hour standoff, law enforcement officers used chemical irritants to convince the driver to leave the vehicle and to surrender peacefully, according to the news release.

With the assistance of the Eau Claire Regional SWAT team, at shortly after 9 p.m., the driver was removed from the vehicle and taken into custody.

No injuries were reported.

Speeds reached up to 100 miles per hour during the chase.

Eastbound traffic on I-94 near Menomonie was delayed and diverted for nearly three hours.

Leave a Comment