By LeAnn R. Ralph
ELK MOUND — The Elk Mound Board of Education is an anticipating a tax levy of $2,905,117 for the 2018-2019 budget.
The school board reviewed the 2018-2019 budget and associated tax levy and mill rate at the July 23 board meeting.
The projected levy amount includes the local tax levy with debt service.
The amount of the tax levy is a “best guess” right now, and the final number cannot be calculated until the district has finalized student enrollment, said Eric Wright, school district administrator.
The anticipated mill rate will be .00825728, or $8.26 per $1,000 of property value.
The estimated mill rate is based on projections of a 4 percent increase in property value in the school district, Wright noted.
The mill rate will be about 25 cents less than last year, he said.
A mill rate reduced by 25 cents would mean a decrease of about $25 per $100,000 of property value, although any reduction in property taxes could be offset by an increase in property value.
A general rule to remember is when the equalized value increases, the mill rate decreases.
The Elk Mound school district’s budget hearing and annual meeting is scheduled for August 20 at 8 p.m.
The regular school board meeting will begin at 6:45 and will adjourn to the budget hearing and annual meeting at 8 p.m.
In other business, the Elk Mound Board of Education:
• Approved a driver’s education fee of $240 per student with the school district covering $100 of the cost.
• Approved updates to the school safety plan. The plan must be approved every three years, and the safety plan, including the changes, will be highlighted in the school district’s newsletter.
• Accepted a retirement request from Carol Wildenberg as a bus driver in the school district.
• Approved a request for early retirement from Chris Young, custodian.
• Accepted the resignation of Tom Rudolph, fifth grade middle school teacher.
• Approved adding a middle school intervention teacher for the 2018-2019 school year.
In closed session, the Elk Mound Board of Education:
• Approved hiring Hailey Ribich as the high school cheerleading coach.
• Approved hiring Sarah Reiter as a speech and language pathologist. Reiter is employed part-time in the Colfax school district and will be filling a 40 percent position at Elk Mound.
• Approved hiring Kayla Jackson as a bus driver.
• Approved hiring Mike Proft as the middle school football coach.
• Approved hiring Randy Siemer as a custodian.