Young dog dies in local house fire

GLENWOOD  CITY — A young dog died in a house fire in Glenwood City Saturday afternoon, February 24th. The home of Lane Berenschot, in the four hundred block of Maple Street, experienced a fire that claimed the life of the young dog named Ryder. An older dog named Cooper was able to escaped the home through a pet door. 

[emember_protected] Berenschot stated that when he returned home he opened the garage door and saw smoke in the garage, but that dissipated and then he opened the door into the living quarters and found it full of smoke.

The Glenwood City Fire Department was summoned at 6:15 p.m. and contained the fire to the kitchen area, but the home received considerable fire damage to the kitchen area and smoke and water damage to most the rest of the home.

Firefighters from the Boyceville Department assisted at the scene. It is believed that the fire started from electric wiring. [/emember_protected]