Skip to content

Wilson man charged with damage at Eagles Nest Bar in Boyceville still looking for an attorney

By LeAnn R. Ralph

MENOMONIE  —  A 19-year-old Wilson man charged early last fall in connection with criminal damage to the Eagles Nest Bar in Boyceville and sexual assault is still looking for an attorney.

Hunter T. Smith appeared for the fourth time in Dunn County Circuit Court January 25 without an attorney.

Smith is charged with three felonies: burglary to a building, criminal damage to property amounting to over $2,500 and second degree sexual assault of a child.

Dunn County Assistant District Attorney Renee Taber told Judge James Peterson the district attorney’s office and Smith have reached a partial agreement and that Smith should consult with an attorney.

Smith also told the court he would like to speak with an attorney.

During an adjourned initial appearance in Dunn County Circuit Court October 24, Smith told Judge Peterson the public defender’s office had denied his application for an attorney.

During an adjourned initial appearance a week later on October 31, Judge Peterson found that Smith was not indigent as related to finding an attorney.

During an initial appearance November 28, Smith told the court he was still trying to find an attorney and waived his right to an attorney for the day and also waived the reading of the criminal complaint and a right to a speedy preliminary hearing.

According to the criminal complaint, on April 29, 2017, Officer Peter Rud with the Boyceville Police Department was flagged down by some residents on East Street who said there was “someone living in the Eagles Nest Bar” on Main Street in Boyceville.

The Eagles Nest was part of a foreclosure and is now owned by People’s State Bank of Plainview.

A 14-year-old girl told the police officer she had been inside the bar twice and had gone in using an open door in the back. The girl said two men were living in the bar, which had been closed for a while and was on the market to be sold. The two men had moved tables around inside the bar and had placed cardboard over the windows. The men stayed there, turned on lights and used the bar as a place to “hang out,” the girl said, according to the complaint.

The girl identified the two men who had been in the Eagles Nest, one of whom was identified as Hunter Smith. She said the two men living in the bar were the ones who “were always walking around town,” the complaint states.

Joe Hellmann subsequently supervised the cleanup of the Eagles Nest and provided receipts showing the costs involved, including 53 man hours of cleaning. The cleaning included four toilets filled with excrement and with no running water; replacing five fire extinguishers; replacing one window; renting a Dumpster; and purchasing cleaning supplies. The total cost was $2,629.03, according to the complaint.

Regarding the sexual assault of a child under the age of 16, Boyceville Police Chief Greg Lamkin reported on September 22, 2017, a girl had reported to him she and 19-year-old Hunter Smith had sexual intercourse at a residence in Boyceville twice, according to the complaint.

The first incident occurred in April, and the second incident occurred several days later.

The girl told Police Chief Lamkin that Smith was aware of her age because she had told him she was 14 years old prior to engaging in sexual intercourse.

Bail was set for Smith with a $500 signature bond September 27.

Smith is scheduled for another court hearing in Dunn County March 20.