We’re getting some better games and series after a few weeks into our new season, but I’m hoping for a few bowlers to “bust out” and start getting some top-notch scores!!
Here are just a few games and series this past week: Brian Casey – 242 game, 652 series; Ben Krosnoski – 228 game, 603 series; Doug Standaert – 224 game, 627 series; Linda Klinger – 206 game, 522 series; Tracy Lawson – 201 game, 561 series.
Well, I see that our Hilltoppers fell to Durand this past Friday night for the Toppers’ first loss of the year. This might be the spark they needed to get “fired up” for the playoffs!! Go Toppers!!
• 1973 Song of the Day: “Blood Red and Goin’ Down” – Tanya Tucker
• 1980 Song of the Day: “Old Flames Can’t Hold a Candle to You” – Dolly Parton
• 1981 Song of the Day: “Tight Fittin’ Jeans” – Conway Twitty
• 1992 Song of the Day: “Love’s Got a Hold on You” – Alan Jackson
• National Pizza Month
• Cookie Month
• Adopt a Dog Month
• 1908 – The Model T was introduced by Henry Ford at a mere cost of $825.00. It was capable of 40 mph and was available in “any color” – as long as you chose black!!
• 1920 – The only triple-header in baseball history was plated, as the Cincinnati Reds took two out of the three games from the Pittsburg Pirates.
• 1971 – Disney World opened in Orlando, Florida.
• 1996 – The federal minimum wage was raised to $4.75/hour.
• 2011 – Andy Rooney ended his 33 year run as a regular contributor to CBS-TV’s “60 Minutes”. He died November 4, 2011, barely a month later.
The Kind Irish
The Irish are always the first ones to come to the aid of their fellow man…passengers, in this case!
Shortly after take-off on an outbound, evening Aer Lingus flight from Dublin to Boston, the lead flight attendant nervously made the following painful announcement in her lovely Irish brogue: “Ladies and gentlemen, I’m so very sorry, but it appears that there has been a terrible mix-up by our catering service. I don’t know how this has happened, but we have 103 passengers on board, and unfortunately, we received only 40 dinner meals. I truly apologize for this mistake and inconvenience.”
When the muttering of the passengers had died down, she continued, “Anyone who is kind enough to give up their meal so that someone else can eat, will receive free and unlimited drinks for the duration of our ten-hour flight.”
Her next announcement came about two hours later: “If anyone is hungry, we still have 40 dinners available.”
Religious Rockpile Readers of the Week
Chuck and Joan DeSmith of Downing, Wisconsin.
Have a cute story or joke?
P.O. Box 213
Glenwood City, WI 54013
or you can email: Leaker@cltcomm.net