Just a reminder to the Thursday Nite Ladies league: There is a meeting this Thursday, August 25th at 7:00 p.m. Please spread the word.
I was just notified that Jeff Garske, one of Glenwood City’s finest basketball players of all times passed away recently, as Jeff was hit by a drunk driver. Jeff was riding a bicycle. The accident happened in South Carolina. Garske was a graduate of the Class of 1968. Jeff was a key player in 1967 when our basketball team traveled to Eau Claire and beat highly favored Eau Claire Memorial!!!! I was proud to say I witnessed that feat in person. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Garske Family!!!
We’ll put more notices of bowling meetings in next week’s paper!!
• 1960 Song of the Day: “The Twist” – Chubby Checker
• 1964 Song of the Day: “I Wanna Hold Your Hand” – The Beatles
• 1970 Song of the Day: “Hello Darlin'” – Conway Twitty
• 1975 Song of the Day: “Before The Next Teardrop Falls” – Freddy Fender
• 1979 Song of the Day: “Back on my Mind Again” – Ronnie Milsap
• 1865 – Liquid soap was patented.
• 1902 – The Cadillac Auto Co. was formed by Henry Ford.
• 1902 – President Theodore Roosevelt became the first President to ride an automobile in public.
• 1951 – The Harlem Globetrotters performed in front of the largest crowd to ever see a basketball game, 75,052 people. Admission was free
• 1968 – George Jones and Tammy Wynette were married.
• 1989 – Nolan Ryan of the Texas Rangers fanned Ricky Henderson of the Oakland Athletics to become the first pitcher to strike out 5,000 batters. It was a 96 mph fastball!!!
Dorothy & Edna
Dorothy and Edna, two “senior” widows, are having a conversation.
Dorothy: “That nice George Johnson asked me out for a date. I know you went out with him last week, and I wanted to talk with you about him before I give him my answer.”
Edna: “Well, I’ll tell you. He shows up at my apartment punctually at 7 P.M., dressed like such a gentleman in a fine suit, and he brings me such beautiful flowers! Then he takes me downstairs, and what’s there but a luxury car… a limousine, uniformed chauffeur and all. Then he takes me out for dinner… a marvelous dinner… lobster, champagne, dessert, and after-dinner drinks. Then we go see a show. Let me tell you, Dorothy, I enjoyed it so much I could have just died from pleasure!
“So then we are coming back to my apartment and he turns into an ANIMAL. Completely crazy, he tears off my expensive new dress and has his way with me two times!”
Dorothy: “Goodness gracious!… so you are telling me I shouldn’t go out with him?”
Edna: “No, no, no… I’m just saying, wear an old dress.”
Religious Rockpile Readers of the Week
Bill and Sharon Miller of Menomonie, Wisconsin
Have a cute story or joke?
P.O. Box 213
Glenwood City, WI 54013
or you can email: Leaker@cltcomm.net