We had great weather for our “Rustic Lore” celebration last weekend. It was a little cool for our Friday and Saturday night street dances but all-in-all the weather was perfect for our other activities.
We raffled off a John Deere “Gator” which was given away after the “Kiddie” tractor pull. The lucky winner was Karla Carlson from Amery. Heidi Shaffer, who bowls here on the Wed. Nite Ladies League, put her aunt’s name (Karla Carlson) on a ticket for the drawing. Congratulations, Karla!!
In the “Battle of the Businesses” tractor pull, Darren Smith won bragging rights for the year as Smith represented Obermueller Trucking (a.k.a. Bernie Obermueller). We had approx. 16 participants in the pull!! Thanks to all the businesses that participated.
Mark Maes was the lucky winner of the “Silverboy” 22 magnum rifle. Proceeds went to the “Legion Post” in New Richmond. The Moving Vietnam Wall was in New Richmond from Sept. 10-15.
The bowling leagues are now all in full swing for the 2015-16 season. It’s hard to believe that this will be our 25th year here at the “Ol’ Rockpile.” Where did the time go???
• 1962 Song of the Day: “Sherry” – The Four Seasons
• 1965 Song of the Day: “IS IT Really Over” – Jim Reeves
• 1973 Song of the Day: “You’ve Never Been This Far Before” – Conway Twitty
• 1981 Song of the Day: “Older Women” – Ronnie McDowell
• 1982 Song of the Day: “She’s Got the Gold Mine (I Got the Shaft)” – Jerry Reed
• 1988 Song of the Day: “Joe Knows How To Live” – Eddy Raven
• 1930 – One of the most popular comic strips of all time, “Blondie” debuted.
• 1949 – The “Lone Ranger” first appeared on ABC TV.
• 1954 – The famous picture of Marilyn Monroe, laughing as her skirt is blown up by a subway vent, was what infuriated her husband, Joe Dimaggio to divorce her shortly after the picture was taken!!
• 1957 – 25-year-old Patsy Cline married Charlie Dick in Virginia.
• 1968 – Richard Nixon uttered, “Sock it to me!!” on the Rowen and Martin’s “Laugh-In”
• 1972 – Bob Newhart debuted on CBS-Television.
A Great Fishing Tale
Four guys have been going to the same fishing trip for many years.
Two days before the group is to leave, Gary’s wife puts her foot down and tells him he isn’t going.
Gary’s mates are very upset that he can’t go, but what can they do.
Two days later the three get to the camping site only to find Gary sitting there with a tent set up, firewood gathered, and dinner cooking on the fire.
“Wow, Gary, how long you been here, and how did you talk your missus into letting you go?”
“Well, I’ve been here since yesterday evening. I was sitting in my chair and my wife came up behind me and put her hands over my eyes and said, ‘Guess who?’ I pulled her hands off, and she was wearing a brand new see through nightie. She took my hand and pulled me to our bedroom.
The room had candles and rose petals all over. On the bed she had handcuffs, and ropes!
She told me to tie and cuff her to the bed, and I did. And then she said, ‘Do whatever you want.’
So, here I am. You guys want a beer?”
Religious Rockpile Reader of the Week
Dereck and Bekah Wink of Glenwood City.
Have a cute story or joke?
P.O. Box 213
Glenwood City, WI 54013
or you can email: Leaker@cltcomm.net