Well, this coming weekend we have our annual “Rustic Lore” celebration. Check out this week’s Tribune to look at all of the activities.
Here at the Ol’ Rockpile, we’re featuring a Bean Bag Tournament on Saturday, right after the car show. It’ll be right out on Main Street starting at 3:00. Call or stop in to sign up.
Sunday following the Grand Parade, we’ll also have a kiddie tractor pull. That’s always a fun time for kids (ages 3-15).
Also following the kids pull, we’re looking forward to the “Battle of the Businesses”. We’d like to see someone represent all the businesses in town and surrounding area to “pull” in the event. I think we had 16 different entries last year. I’ll be around to visit and sign up some “volunteers”. It was a lot of fun last year!
• 1952 Song of the Day: “It Wasn’t God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels” – Kitty Wells
• 1968 Song of the Day: “Mama Tried” – Merle Haggard
• 1976 Song of the Day: “(I’m A) Stand by Your Woman Man ” – Ronnie Milsap
• 1945 – V-J Day – Harry S. Truman proclaimed Victory-over-Japan day.
• 1938 – The first fluorescent light bulb was used.
• 1962- The Soviet Union agreed to send arms to Cuba to meet “Threats from aggressive imperialist elements”.
• 1973 – Billy Martin, manager of the Detroit Tigers, was fired, three days after ordering his pitching staff to throw spitballs at the Cleveland Indians batters.
• 1976 – Three teenagers from Portland, Oregon, set a world record by completing a merry-go-round of 312 hours, 43 minutes (13 days).
A man and his wife walked into a dentist’s office. The man said to the dentist, “Doc, I’m in one heck of a hurry. I have two buddies sitting out in my car waiting for us to go play golf, so forget about the anesthetic, I don’t have time for the gums to get numb. I just want you to pull the tooth, and be done with it! We have a 10:00 AM tee time at the best golf course in town and it’s 9:30 already … I don’t have time to wait for the anesthetic to work! ”
The dentist thought to himself … “My goodness, this is surely a very brave man asking to have his tooth pulled without using anything to kill the pain. ” So the dentist asked him, “Which tooth is it, sir?”
The man turned to his wife and said, “Open your mouth, honey, and show him!”
Religious Rockpile Reader of the Week
Tom Moe of Glenwood City.
Have a cute story or joke?
P.O. Box 213
Glenwood City, WI 54013
or you can email: Leaker@cltcomm.net