Skip to content

Glenhaven fire called in at 5:06 a.m.

By LeAnn R. Ralph

GLENWOOD CITY  —  A fire in the early-morning hours of Tuesday, January 14, 2014, destroyed much of the new construction that had been completed for  Glenhaven Long Term Care and Rehabilitation.

According to a note on the report, the response to the fire at Glenhaven was delayed because of five to eight inches of snow falling  and strong winds causing blowing and drifting snow. During the fire, two ladder trucks went down with mechanical issues, and three different times, the city’s water system reached a point where hydrant operations had to be suspended.

• 5:06 a.m. — The Glenwood City Fire Department was called to a structure fire at Glenhaven at 612 East Oak Street in Glenwood City. The report notes that when the fire department arrived, the fire was in Building B and C of the new addition and that Building D and E were already burned to the ground. The St. Croix County Dispatcher also paged out the United Fire Department shortly after the Glenwood City Fire Department.

• 5:11 a.m. — Glenwood City Fire Department requests a full response from the Boyceville Fire Department.

• 5:22 a.m. — Glenwood City Fire requests a ladder truck from the Menomonie Fire Department.

• 5:49 a.m. — Glenwood City Fire requests that the Mutual Aid Box Alarm System (MABAS) division director respond to the scene.

• 6:26 a.m. — Division 117 President Quentin Popp requests Boyceville Fire Department MABAS box card No. 15-21 to the 5th alarm for tenders only.

• 6:30 a.m. — Division 117 President Popp requests preparation for a strike team of tenders from Division 143 for the Glenhaven fire. Division 143 President Colin Erickson was contacted. Erickson said a large number of his resources were already committed to the Glenhaven fire, and he did not feel he could afford to send more.

• 6:40 a.m. — The regional coordinator contacts Division 126 and 132 presidents Al Bertrang and Doug Matthews to start preparing a tender strike team in case the team was needed.

• 7:13 a.m. — Command receives word that United Fire’s ladder truck has mechanical issues and requests River Falls Fire’s ladder truck be paged to the scene.

• 7:20 a.m. — Division 117 President Popp calls regional coordinator and requests an engine strike team.

• 8:15 a.m. — Baldwin EMS Chief Craig Nelson requested a patient transport bus from Minnesota to move residents from the adjoining nursing home. The bus can transport 30 supine patients. Chief Nelson said Baldwin would pay for the bus if needed and that the bus would start out from Minnesota.

• 8:25 a.m. — Division 117 President Popp confirms that after consultation with EMS that patients would not need to be moved and there would be no need for the bus.

• 8:27 a.m. — Division 126 strike team assembles at Exit 59 I-94 and responds to Glenwood City.

• 8:56 a.m. — Division Director Popp requests that strike team of tenders be deployed with a river pump and requested a second river pump because the on-scene river pump had mechanical problems.

• 9:45 a.m. — Division 126 strike team arrives.

• 10:00 a.m. — Command requests a fuel truck to fill the fuel tanks of apparatus on the scene working the fire.

• 10:15 a.m. — Division 132 strike team assembles at the muster point of Chippewa Fire District Station No. 2 and responds to Glenwood City.

• 11:19 a.m. — Division 132 strike team arrives. The water supply officer begins to relieve tenders that have been on the scene the longest because the trucks are beginning to freeze.

• 1:00 p.m. — Glenwood City Fire Chief Greg Holden tells the MABAS Regional Coordinator, Merryfield, that the fire is under control but a large amount of overhaul is needed and that the Glenwood City department is assisting the state fire marshal in investigating the fire. Fire Chief Holden says the tenders are needed for several more hours.

• 3:00 p.m. — Engine and tender strike teams from Division 126 and Division 132 are released by fire command.

• 5:05 p.m. — Fire command terminates and all units are cleared from the scene. The scene was secured by the Glenwood City Police Department throughout the night.