GLENWOOD CITY — In honor and memory of our local veterans, The Glenwood Area Historical Society has donated the Honor and Remember Flag to the School District of Glenwood City. The Honor and Remember Flag was created to serve as a national symbol that specifically acknowledges the sacrifices of men and women in the United States Armed Forces, who in action or in service, gave their lives for their country in over two centuries of American history.
The design of the Honor and Remember Flag is distinctive, but simple in its message using both historic military and universal symbols (www.honorandremember.org).
• The red field symbolizes the sacrifice of blood shed in service to our country
• The white border signifies the purity of that service and sacrifice
• The blue star represents a loved one in active military service
• The gold star signifies the ultimate sacrifice of a soldier who will never return
• The flame is an eternal reminder that we will never forget the fallen
• The folded flag represents the final tribute that is given to each family at a memorial service
In a thank-you letter addressed to the members of the Glenwood Area Historical Society, Mr. Tim Johnson, Superintendent of the School District of Glenwood City, expressed his appreciation for the donation of the Honor and Remember Flag to the school. According to Mr. Johnson, the Honor and Remember Flag will fly subordinate to the American Flag in the school’s new veteran’s memorial area located on the school’s athletic grounds, and will be a treasured reminder of those who served our country with honor and distinction.