Skip to content

Glenwood City wrestlers see Cadott twice in one week

By Kelsie Hoitomt

GLENWOOD CITY — The Glenwood City wrestling team was scheduled for two home duals this past week, but due to winter weather and poor road conditions, Thursday’s match against Mondovi was cancelled.

They turned around and went to Cadott on Saturday for an Invitational with the Hornets, Chippewa Falls, Bruce, Whitehall, Cornell/ Gilman/ Lake Holcombe, Melrose-Mindoro/Galesville Ettrick Trempealeau (Mel-Min-GET), and Medford.

The Toppers’ one dual last week was Tuesday against Cadott. Six pins, one decision and one forfeit led the Toppers to a 37-33 victory over the Hornets, which was their first home dual of the season aside from a tournament and quad.

Hogan Chouinard was the first wrestler to step onto the mat for the Toppers. He faced off against senior, Cole Hanson and won by a 3-0 decision after getting an escape and a takedown in the second period.

Next up was sophomore Anthony Melstrom at 285. Melstrom wrestled senior Chris Haider for his first varsity match of his wrestling career.

Melstrom in fact is in his first year on the wrestling team and just recently had his first competition at the Hopkins invite in Minnesota.

Melstrom earned his first varsity victory after he managed to get out of Haider’s grip for an escape and in one swift motion he tripped up Haider and was able to land on him for a quick pin.

The crowd loved the action and went wild with cheers and clapping.

“Tony has worked really hard his first month on the team,” began coach Strong. “He expressed interest in competing and earned the spot in a wrestle off. I really like his attitude and work habits in practice.”

The Hornets earned their first points of the night after a tough match at 106 with Austin Curvello and senior Alex Licht going head to head.

For a freshman that has only wrestled a handful of varsity matches, Curvello wrestled real tough the entire match and only lost by three in the 9-12 decision.

He trailed by two going into the third period, but he was able to get up and off the mat for an escape and reversal that gave him a 8-7 lead. He hung on the best he could, but Licht regained control and finished the match on top.

Jake Nadeau was next at 113. It was a good ground battle to start the match with neither wrestler wanting to give up the first take down points.

Eventually Jake lost his grip and went down 0-4 after two take downs. He got an escape before the period ended and then another one at the start of the second.

He ended with just the two escapes and then got a point due to Bailey Gillett’s hands being locked. Gillett went on to win the match on a 8-3 decision.

The Hornets trailed 9-6, but they took a big lead of 9-24 after freshmen Brad Kessler and Trevor Larson both lost their matches by a fall and then GC forfeited at 132.

The Toppers bounced back at 138 when Marcus Ullom won by a pin 44 seconds into the second period over Tyler Pederson.

Ullom started with two take downs in the first period, then had a near fall at the beginning of the second before solidifying the pin.

Pederson did manage to catch Ullom sleeping for a second, which gave him a reversal and those were his only points before the pin.

Then at 145 pounds, Cody Bonte wrestled against Adam Shakal and won by a pin as well, which put the Toppers down by three, 21-24.

Bonte wrestled an impressive match that ended with him on top for the fall with 45 seconds left on the clock in the first period.

Jake O’Meara kept the “pinning” streak going at his 152 pound match.

He got three straight take downs for a 6-0 lead at the start of the second period. Then 21 seconds into the second, he had Isaiah Pecha on his back for the pin.

That put the Toppers ahead in points finally, 27-24.

The 160 pound match may have been the best of the night with non stop action on the mat between Spencer Peterson and Dominick Grimm.

Peterson wrestled with real heart and strength, but in the end the final decision went to Grimm with the score at 10-12.

Peterson had the first take down and went on from there to get a reversal and then a near fall, which shot him up to a 9-4 lead.

He tried to muscle his way through, but Grimm took control and ran the match from that point on.

Grimm tied the score at 9’s and then from the neutral stance in the third period, he got a take down for the win.

The decision loss tied the dual at 27-27, but a win by Jake Logghe at 170 put the Toppers back ahead. Logghe dominated the match against Bryan Helminski with a 6-0 lead after the second period.

Logghe nearly got a pin and was awarded near fall points, which put the score at 9-0. Haider had one escape at the end for a 9-1 final decision.

The victory came down to two final matches, which were both ironically forfeits. The Toppers forfeited their 182 pound match, but put Logan Smith in at 195 for the final six points that gave them the 37-33 lead.

Cadott Invitational

At the Invitational, O’Meara finished the day a champion at 152 after winning four straight matches.

Ullom and Chouinard each finished as runner-up in their 132 and 220 pound brackets. Nadeau placed third at 106 and then Curvello took fourth at 106.

Peterson, Logghe, Kessler, Wannemacher and Bonte each won two matches and then Melstrom, Dan Taylor and Quinton Rogers earned a win.

O’Meara’s road to victory began with a bye in round one. In round two he faced off against Edgar Velasquez of Whitehall and won by a major decision of 9-0.

He followed that up with a 5-0 decision win over Mitch Brodsky of Mel/Min/GET. In the next round he got his first pin, which came over Jared Woodhull of Chippewa Falls.

That win put him in the championship round against Medford’s Kolten Hanson. Jake managed to win the match on a two point decision of 5-3.

As for Ullom, he wrestled at 132 and went 4-0 before facing off against Cadott’s Tyler Gillett in the championship round. Gillett was able to catch Ullom on a weak moment, which put Marcus on his back for the pin at 5:28.

Aside from that loss, Ullom won every one of his matches by a pin. He started the day with a fall over William Johnson of Mel-Min/GET.

Then he pinned Kendall Miller of Whitehall in 41 seconds. Then it was Jake Hillebrand’s turn to hit the mat and he went down by a fall at 2:22 in the fifth round.

Chouinard’s run in the championship round began with a fall over Cadott’s Cole Hanson in the first round. Then he went on to pin Issac-Boiteau-Rust of Chippewa Falls in 2:32.

He continued on a “pinning” streak with the third match ending in a pin in 46 seconds over Kenny Krug of Medford.

Following that, Hogan lost to Austin Knopps of Whitehall by a fall. Knopps went on to take first place. Hogan’s final match was against Sam Higley and that ended in a win due to an injury default.

In third place was Nadeau at 106. He won three straight matches including two pins over Brad Nelles of Medford and Mitchel Olcott of Whitehall and then a major decision of 10-0 over Jack Marley of Mel-Min-GET.

Jake had to face off against Alex Licht once again and he lost by a 5-2 decision in the fifth round. That dropped him to the third and fourth place match, which he won by a forfeit.

Curvello placed fourth at 106 after starting the day with loss to Kyle Bowe of Chippewa Falls. He bounced back with a major decision win of 14-0 over Paul Nedland of C/G/LH and then he won by a forfeit in the fourth round.

Dan Taylor also wrestled at 106 that day. He placed ninth overall after three matches and one forfeit.

Going down the roster, Kessler was next at 113 pounds. He finished third as well with two losses to start the day.

He redeemed himself in the third round with a pin over Bailey Fitzl of Mel-Min-GET. He then pinned Caitlyn Kaz of Chippewa Falls before receiving a bye in the final round.

At 126 was Larson. He finished sixth with two matches won. He started the day with a loss to Casey Hedrington of Chippewa Falls. Then he won by a fall over Jeremy Anderson of Mel-Min-GET.

He yo-yo’d with a loss in the next round to Eric Nedland of C/G/LH and then won again in the fifth round bye before losing to Mike Horton of Mel-Min-GET by a fall.

Bonte also placed sixth after losing his first two matches by a fall to a Medford and Bruce opponent. He bounced back from that with two wins, which both came by pin.

In the fourth round he pinned Zachary Meyer of Mel-Min-GET in 39 seconds and then he put down Shakal for a second time in 58 seconds.

The fifth place match was lost to Wyatt Cole of Cadott then by a fall in 43 seconds.

Peterson went down a couple weight classes to 145 for the weekend. He placed fifth overall after winning his first two matches.

In round one he faced off against Tucker Haag of Mel-Min-GET and won by a 7-1 decision. Then he went head to head with Nichols Peterson of Mel-Min-GET and won by a fall in 1:45.

He lost his following three matches to a Medford, Bruce and Cadott kid with each being by a pin.

John Pagnotta also wrestled at 145 and he took eighth place. He won one match, which was in the third round where he received a bye.

Logghe followed at 160, where he placed fourth overall after winning three straight matches to start the day.

He first pinned Hunter Mason of Mel-Min-GET in 1:02 and then backed that up with another pin in 3:28 over Parker Henrichs of Medford. His final win came in the third round over Jasper Dunn of Whitehall by a 7-4 decision.

He lost to Kyle Zebian of Chippewa Falls in the fifth round and then was pinned by Hunter Schulik of Mel-Min-GET in the third place match.

Wannemacher also placed fourth after winning two matches in his 170 pound bracket. He started the day with a win over Ethan Haider by a fall in 49 seconds.

Then he lost by fall to a kid from Medford, Chippewa Falls and Mel-Min-GET before he finished the day with a win over Austin Nichols of Mel-Min-GET, which was by a pin in 45 seconds.

Smith wrestled at 182 and placed fifth with one win under his belt that was received by a bye in the fourth round. He lost to two kids from Mel-Min-GET and one from Chippewa Falls and Cadott.

And last, but not least was the heavy weight bracket. Melstrom as well as Quinton Rogers wrestled at 285. Melstrom placed fifth with three wins and Rogers placed sixth with two.

Tony started the day with a loss to Takoda Lee of C/G/LH and then he lost to Patrick Higley of Mel-Min-GET.

He caught back up with a win in the fourth round by a bye and then he got on the mat and faced off against Luke Moua of Chippewa Falls and won by a pin in 1:57.

As for Rogers, he received a bye in the third round for a win and then he pinned Chris Haider in the fifth round in a time of 5:12.

His two losses were by a fall to Alex Greenwold of Whitehall and Donny Ralston of Bruce.

The Toppers’ first conference match of the season was Tuesday night (Jan. 13), which was the rescheduled date from last Thursday against Mondovi.

The Toppers will now face off against the top conference team, the Spring Valley Cardinals on this Thursday, January 15 with the start time at 7:00 p.m.