Skip to content

Toppers win over Bulldogs at home; lose to Cameron on the road

By Kelsie Hoitomt

The Glenwood City girls basketball finished 1-1 in games last week with a loss to Cameron on Monday, December 8 and then a conference win on Thursday against Boyceville.

Their border battle against the Bulldogs was an intense game with aggression on the court and in the stands with hoots and hollers as fouls were called or missed.

The Toppers led in the first quarter 11-4 after Jenesa Klinger scored the first shot and Moriah Kuehndorf followed.

Megan Samens was the first player fouled and she made one basket to give the Toppers a 5-0 led with only 2:30 left to play.

The Bulldogs scored their first basket following the foul, but Klinger landed a three pointer to bring their lead back up.

The quarter ended with the Bulldog’s scoring their second double for their four points.

The second quarter started with Kuehndorf scoring the first basket.

This was the only shot made by the Toppers until the final seconds when Jennifer Kopacz let the ball fly from behind the arc for three.

The ball handling was very poor throughout the second quarter with turnover after turnover caused by Boyceville.

The Toppers themselves were able to get their hands on the ball a few times, but the quarter score did go to the Bulldogs with a 7-5 difference in points.

Out of the half, the Toppers led by five with the score at 16-11. Samens was then fouled as she drove the ball to the hoop for the first points of the quarter.

The Bulldogs went on a scoring run with three players fouled and then two threes were dropped, which put them down by four at the end of the third.

The fourth quarter started with the score at 27-23, but the Bulldogs closed that gap after two players scored back to back lay ups for a tied ball game.

This was the only time the Bulldogs had an edge over the Toppers the entire game. They gained their lead back on a basket under the hoop from Becca Moll.

Kopacz landed two foul shots for the team and Kuehndorf knocked in a double and a foul shot to put the score at 43-34.

The game ended with Klinger on the line with two foul shots and she made both for the 45-36 final.

As a team, the Toppers scored 13 doubles, 13 free throws and two triples.

Kopacz led the game in points with 15 from three doubles, one triple and she finished with six free throws out of eight made.

Kuehndorf followed with 12 points from five doubles and two free throws. Klinger then had nine points from one triple, two doubles and she went two for two at the line.

Samens finished with five points from one double and three free throws and Moll and Gabby Peterson each had a double.

In Cameron, the Toppers managed to hold their own for the most part, but they still lost 69-46.

Cameron finished with a perfect 12-0 season last year in their Lakeland-Central conference with a run at the Sectional Championships until they were beat by Regis.

The Toppers started the game down by six with the score at 15-9 in the first quarter.

Kopacz knocked down two doubles and Kuehndorf and Samens each had one as well as a free throw from Megan.

The second quarter was the game changer with Cameron really stepping up their offense. They posted 19 points against the Toppers’ five for a 20 point difference at the half of 34-14.

The Toppers came out of the half playing really good ball with 16 points scored in both the third and fourth quarters.

However, Cameron was outstanding with 24 points of their own scored in the third quarter alone for a 58-27 score.

In the third, Kuehndorf lit up the hoop with two doubles, one three and one free throw. Kopacz also knocked down her first three after scoring a double.

Peterson had two free throws and Moll had one to finish up the Toppers’ 16 points.

In the final eight minutes, Kuehndorf continued to let it rain with two triples and a free throw for seven of their 16 points.

Klinger landed her first shots as well with a double and a triple and then Samens and Kopacz each had a double.

On the court, the Toppers posted five triples and 12 doubles. They finished just a hair over 50 percent on the line however with seven of their 16 free throws made.

Next for the Toppers is a game at home against Elk Mound on Friday, December 19. They were on the road Tuesday (Dec. 16) for a contest in Colfax.