Skip to content

Toppers finish fourth at the annual John Timm Tournament

By Kelsie Hoitomt

GLENWOOD CITY — Last Saturday marked the 17th annual John Timm Memorial Dual Tournament at the Glenwood City High School.

The Toppers finished fourth out of six teams with first place going to Amery. Neillsville finished second, Triton was third, Somerset took fifth and Spooner was sixth.

In the first round, the Toppers went head to head with Spooner and won 42-24. They then matched up against Amery and lost 57-13 before turning around and beating Somerset 51-21.

The Toppers came close to victory in their fourth round, but they were defeated by nine points in a 42-33 final against Triton.

The fifth and final round, the Toppers were dominated by Neillsville in a 61-12 final.

Against Spooner, the Toppers’ first four matches were a win with Austin Curvello starting things off at 106 pounds. He pinned Brenden Hanson in 3:56 for six team points.

Jake Nadeau, Brad Kessler and Trevor Larson followed from 113-126 and each received a forfeit. Spooner then received forfeit points at 132.

There was action at 138 with Marcus Ullom wrestling freshman Billy Hagberg. Ullom pinned him in the second period.

Jake O’Meara followed suit at 145 and pinned freshman Josh Melton in the second period for his first win as a varsity wrestler after missing last year due to a knee injury.

The Rails then went on a scoring run after Spencer Peterson lost on a 4-0 decision to Bryce Carroll at 152. Then at 160, Cody Bonte was pinned by Brandon Jepson.

At 170, Jake Logghe lost by a pin to junior Josiah Melton and then Logan Smith lost by a 6-0 decision to Richard Lauterbach.

The dual ended with a double forfeit at 195 and 220 and then Hogan Chouinard finished at heavy weight with a pin in 4:35 over junior Donovan Knutson.

Amery was victorious with 11 out of the 14 total weight classes. They started at 113 with Corey Grunder winning by a 9-5 decision over Kessler.

Then they received a forfeit at 120 before Larson was pinned at 126 by Austen Connor.

132 was forfeited again by the Toppers but they were able to put their first points on the board when Ullom beat junior, Turner Luke 3-0.

Amery went on scoring run after O’Meara lost 7-1, then Peterson and Austin Wannemacher were both pinned. Then at 170 Logghe lost on a 6-0 decision before Smith was pinned.

195 was forfeited by the Toppers, but they bounced back with some points received after Chouinard wrestled at 220 against Trevor Hegna and won by a pin.

Quinton Rogers took over as heavy weight and lost by a fall, but the Toppers finished with a win when Nadeau crushed fellow freshman Jude Inghim by a major decision of 12-0.

Meet three was the Toppers win over Somerset. This time they started at 120 with Kessler taking down Sam Woods 12-7.

Somerset then received a forfeit at 126, which was their last points for six matches.

Larson received forfeit points at 132 and then Ullom pinned Garret Hecht in the first period.

O’Meara was next at 145 and won by a decision of 4-1 over Zach Schmidt. Peterson followed at 152 and won his first match after beating Jordin Sutton by a pin.

Bonte also got his first pin of the day, which came against Harrison Kern in the first period as well. Wannemacher followed suit with a drawn out battle against Croix Stambaugh that ended in a pin  in 4:36.

Somerset took their first points since the beginning of the meet at 182 when Logan Peterson pinned Logghe in 3:33. Smith was also pinned at his 195 pound match with Max Praschak being the victor.

Somerset had no heavy weight classes so Chouinard and Rogers both received forfeits and then Curvello took to the mat at 106. He won by a 4-0 decision over Josh Maack.

The meet ended with a final match going in favor of Somerset when Preston Anez beat Nadeau 7-2.

Their nine point loss to Triton started at 126 pounds with Larson getting pinned by Dane Jenson.

They then received a forfeit at 132 before Ullom won his fourth match by a pin over freshman Hunter Jennings.

O’Meara won at 145 by a decision of 6-2 over Dalton Otterbein before Triton won four matches in a row, which gave them the lead the needed.

Peterson lost 7-4 at 152, then Bonte was pinned at 160 and Wannemacher lost by a fall as well at 170 before Logghe went down by a decision of 5-2.

Smith put points back on the board for the Toppers with a forfeit received at 195, but Triton answered back with wins by pin against Chouinard and Rogers.

The Toppers finished with three wins in the final three matches with Nadeau pinning Mikaiah Foster, Curvello received a forfeit and Kessler pinned Kyle Mitchell.

With four rounds under their shoes, the Topper team was exhausted going into the meet against Neillsville.

They won just two matches against them, which were earned by a pin from O’Meara at 145 and then a forfeit at 160.

Ullom lost his first match of the day on a 4-2 decision. Peterson was pinned. Smith was pinned. Chouinard was pinned. Rogers lost on a 5-1 decision. Curvello lost by a major decision of 14-4. Nadeau lost by a major decision as well of 12-0. Kessler was pinned and Larson was tech falled 17-1.

Overall, finishing with a winning record for their first matches of the year were Curvello (3-1), Nadeau (3-2), Kessler (3-2), Ullom (4-1), O’Meara (4-1) and Chouinard (3-2).

The Toppers traveled to Luck on Tuesday night. They will then be at home the following Tuesday, December 16 for a quad against Unity, Baldwin-Woodville and Turtle Lake that is scheduled to start at 5:00 p.m.