If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
Guardian Safety Solutions International, Inc. (GSSI) warns families that Thanksgiving can be hazardous to their health. More cooking fires are reported on Thanksgiving than any other day of the year. About 45 house fires are reported every hour in the U.S., and 60 percent of apartment fires are started by cooking equipment. Sadly, children and the elderly make up the greatest national percentage of injury and death due to household fires.
“Thanksgiving is a special day with relatives, but answering the door to welcome guests can distract even the most careful cook,” said Paul Rouse, GSSI administrative officer. “Alcohol during Thanksgiving celebrations can also add to cooking inattentiveness. Next thing you know, a fire starts consuming the stove, curtains and other flammable material in the kitchen.” The popularity of turkey deep fryers has added another hazard to the celebration. The cooking oil temperature is extremely hot. Rouse said that they should be used as far from the house as possible. “It’s important to note that not one turkey fryer has been certified as safe by Underwriters Laboratories,” Rouse added. He offers tips for cooking safety.
10 tips for Thanksgiving cooking fire safety:
• Never leave a room while cooking.
• If you must leave the room while cooking, turn off the stove.
• Keep pot handles turned to the back of the stove so children cannot grab them.
• Wear short sleeves or tight sleeves while cooking so nothing dangles near a flame.
• Keep paper, towels, pot holders, wooden utensils and curtains away from the cooking area.
• Have one or more fire extinguishers handy and know how to use them.
• Keep stove tops clean; remove built up grease and spilled food.
• Never throw water on a grease fire – smother it with a pan lid instead.
• Keep children and pets in the “kid-free” zone three feet from the stove.
• Have a fire escape plan, and review and rehearse it often.
“The time to protect yourself against a range top fire is before it strikes. By simply installing the Guardian, you can rest at ease and party safely.” With the system, a fire can be extinguished in as little as seven seconds. For more information, contact GSSI at 800-786-2178 or visit www.guardianssi.com.