Skip to content

Who was Steve S. Curry?

That question has been around for many years. Ever since the Glenwood City Legion changed their name from the Steven S. Curry Post to the Curry-Ainsworth Post, people have questioned who he was.

The following news report was printed in the Glenwood City Tribune on April 17, 1919:

War Department Wires that Pvt. Steve S. Curry lost life in battle October 26.

Last week Mrs. Ellen Jaeger received the following telegram, sent by the adjutant general of the army:

“Deeply regret to inform you that Pvt. Steve S. Curry, Infantry, previous reported missing in action since October 25th, now reported killed in action October 26th.”

Ever since December 3rd, when a telegram was received from the adjutant general stating that Steve had been reported missing in action, his mother, his other relatives and his many friends had been earnestly hoping that he might still be living, but this second telegram of course leaves no doubt as to his death. Although in a way prepared for the news, it came as a heavy blow to Mrs. Jaeger, and she has the heartfelt sympathy of all our people in her severe bereavement.

Steve died as a hero in battle fighting for his country on the conflict-seared fields of France. He left Camp Pike, Ark., in June, and went overseas with infantry replacements from the 87th Division. He first landed in England, and Tribune readers will recall an item in the paper last summer telling of a souvenir copy of a greeting from King George which Steve send home to his mother. Arriving in France, he was assigned to the famous “Yankee” Division, the 26th, which has a record for some of the hardest and bloodiest fighting in the war, its men having been used as “shock” troops all during October.

A letter received from the Red Cross this week states that from information given by one of the Red Cross searchers, which is not official, “Pvt. Curry was killed in action north of Verdun. Grave found by chaplain.”

Steve Samuel Curry was born in the Town of Springfield on November 22, 1893. When about twelve years of age he came to Glenwood City with his mother. He graduated from the grammar room of the Glenwood City Schools, after which he went out into the business world, and from that time on supported himself. He held several responsible traveling positions and then went into the employ of the United Cigar Stores Co., and at the time he entered the service was manager of one of its stores at St. Paul. The company considered Steve one of its most valuable men, and he often received special mention in its monthly magazine for big sales records he made in the store he managed.

He entered service September 19, 1917, and after spending two months at Camp Grant in Co. D, 341st Infantry, was transferred to the 345th Infantry at Camp Pike, Ark.

Steve’s death makes the third among the boys from this vicinity who went to Camp Grant in the September 19th contingent, Erik Vick and Walter Johnson being the other two.

He was a quiet boy, but keen of mind and of splendid business ability. Always neat and trim of appearance, big hearted and friendly, he left a favorable impression with all who met him. To his mother he was an ever help and a comfort of whom she was proud.

Besides his mother, he is survived by four sisters. Mrs. E. L. Walsh, of New Richmond, and Margaret, Alice and Agnes, of this city, and one brother, Phillip of Denver, Colo. He was a first cousin of Roy Levi, who died while in the naval service at Great lakes station last fall.