Glenwood City Public Library & the Glenwood Area Historical Society present an antiques and collectibles appraisal event featuring author and antiques expert Mark F. Moran of Iola, Wis., on March 23, 2014 from 1-4 p.m. at the Glenwood City Community Center.
Formerly senior editor of Antiques and Collectibles Books for Krause Publications in Iola, Wis., he has also been a contributing editor for Antique Trader magazine. He has served as editor of Antique Review East magazine; as producer of Atlantique City, an antique show held in Atlantic City, N.J.; and as editorial director of F+W Media’s Antiques Group.
He is the author or co-author of more than 25 books on antiques and collectibles, including three editions of the 800-page annual Warman’s Antiques & Collectibles.
Moran bought and sold antiques for more than 30 years, specializing in vintage folk art, Americana, and fine art. He has been active as an appraiser of antiques and fine art for more than 20 years.
Pre-registration is required. Please call the library at 715-265-7443 to sign up. Categories of objects for appraisal may include:
• Fine art, including paintings, drawings, prints and statuary.
• Furniture (usually smaller pieces are best).
• Ceramics, including figural pottery, vases, dishes, kitchenware and stoneware.
• Glassware, including lighting, marbles and souvenir items.
• Vintage photographs, including snapshots, tintypes, ambrotypes and daguerreotypes.
• Advertising, including posters, lithographed tin, paper and figural objects.
• Folk art, including carvings, quilts, weathervanes, windmill weights and “outsider” art.
• Assorted toys, including dolls (bisque, composition and plastic), windups and mechanical banks.
• Metalware, including iron, bronze, brass, pot metal, silver, silver plate.
• Clocks, including mantel, hanging and figural.
• Costume jewelry, including brooches, bracelets, earrings.
• Excluded items: all weapons, including swords and knives (though folding knives with advertising are accepted); coins and paper money; Beanie Babies; fine jewelry, including precious gems.
Questions about objects not covered here can be submitted to Moran in advance to determine if they are appropriate. For more information, contact:
Mark F. Moran Appraisals of Antiques & Fine Art
N7326 Maple Ridge Trail
Iola, Wis. 54945
Visit Moran’s site at http://mark-moran.blogspot.com/, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Markfmoran