GC wrestlers rally late to top Cameron

CAMERON — After bolting to a 20-3 lead with wins in four of the first five matches, the Glenwood City wrestling squad saw its advantage completely disappear Friday, January 3 in Cameron.

 The Comets dominated the lower weights and streaked to a one-point lead, 27-26, with just two matches remaining in their non-conference dual with the Hilltoppers, thanks to a pair of forfeits, a technical fall, and two major decisions.

But Glenwood City came up big in the evening’s final two bouts.

152-pounder Jake Carlson scored a pin and Hunter Chouinard followed with a 5-3 decision at 160 pounds to secure the Hilltoppers’ ninth straight dual victory, 35-27. Glenwood City, which started the season 1-5, improved to 10-5 with the road win over Cameron.

Senior Isaac Tuttle, currently ranked fifth in the D3, started the Toppers off with a win as he dominated the Comets Jared Santana to take a 10-1 major decision at 170 pounds.

Kyle Heinsohn would put Cameron on the scoreboard with a 6-0 shut out decision over Glenwood City’s Blayze Wood in the ensuing match at 182 pounds.

Glenwood City took a significant lead as it garnered a big wins from a trio of senior grapplers.

Jeff Kopacz scored a 9-1 major decision over James Zimmer at 195 before Donovan Fornal and Brennan Kessler followed with pins at 220 and 285 pounds respectively.

Those wins vaulted the Hilltoppers advantage to 20-3.

Neither team fielded a 106-pounder.

But Cameron hit the comeback trail as it scored significant wins in five of the next six matches.

Marcus Maresca won a technical fall over Toppers’ Joe Obermueller at 113 pounds to ignite the Comets’ rally.

Spencer Peterson scored a key pin for the Hilltoppers at 120 pounds but the Comets received forfeits at the next two weight classes (126 and 132) followed by a pair of major decisions – GC’s Marcus Ullom fell 9-2 at 138 and Ty Reinke stopped Topper Damian Hoitomt 15-2 for the win at 145 – to take a slim 27-26 lead heading into the final two matches.

It took all of 53 seconds for Jake Carlson to get Glenwood City’s lead back for good as he stuck Ty Benard at 152. Hunter Chouinard then sealed the deal with a 5-3 win over Alex Schutt in the final match at 160 pounds.

Glenwood City began a five-match road trip last night (January 7), weather permitting, in Cadott for a dual. The Toppers will then open the Dunn-St. Croix Conference schedule tomorrow night, January 9, in Spring Valley against the Cardinals, the defending conference co-champs and current number one team in the state Division 3 polls, before finishing out the week back in Cadott this Saturday, January 11 for a tournament.

GC 35, Cameron 27

106-Double Forfeit; 113-Marcus Maresca (CAM) Tech fall over Joe Obermueller (GC), 5:47; 120-Spencer Peterson (GC) pinned Jordan Anderson (CAM), 3:43; 126-Devon Doorn (CAM) received a forfeit; 132-Kal Gerber (CAM) received a forfeit; 138-Lucas Morgan (CAM) dec. Marcus Ullom (GC), 9-2; 145-Ty Reinke (CAM) majored Damion Hoitomt (GC), 15-2; 152-Jake Carlson (GC) pinned Ty Benard (CAM), 0:53; 160-Hunter Chouinard (GC) dec. Alex Schutt (CAM), 5-3; 170-Isaac Tuttle (GC) majored Jared Santana (CAM), 10-1; 182-Kyle Heinsohn (CAM) dec. Blayze Wood (GC), 6-0; 195-Jeff Kopacz (GC) majored James Zimmer (CAM), 9-1; 220-Donovan Fornal (GC) pinned Marcus Bronstad (CAM), 1:10; 285-Brennan Kessler (GC) pinned William Warner (CAM), 3:15.