Skip to content

Hilltopper boys lose nail-biter to Blue Devils

By Kelsie Hoitomt

GLENWOOD CITY – The game winning decision came down to the final minute in the contest between the Glenwood City Hilltoppers and the Plum City Blue Devils last Thursday. The Toppers lost by just three points in a final of 50-47.

 The game started with the Toppers ahead by a slim margin after they posted 13 points on a trey and two doubles from Richard Ross as well as baskets from Marcus Kadinger and Todd Petersen.

However, their lead of 13-11 diminished in the second quarter after the offense went limp at the hoop.

The Toppers posted just four points from two baskets and the Blue Devils ran up their score after 15 points were drained to put the game at 26-17 at the half.

This lack in play carried over into the third quarter as well as the Toppers put down a mere three points from a double and a free-throw from Ross.

The Blue Devils scored 11 points to increase their lead by 17 with a 37-20 score going into the final eight minutes.

The fourth quarter saw a completely different Hilltopper team. They boys blew up the court with 27 points scored for a big comeback that actually tied the game at 45-45.

The fire was lite early in the quarter after Ross drained a three and then Kip Wallace followed with another to put the score at 33-41.

Petersen was a big component to their comeback as his fourth quarter play on defense was outstanding. He was the main rebounder on the defense, which put the Toppers in motion to get the ball back and score at their own net.

It was Petersen that tied the game at 45’s and then it was Ross with the team’s final basket of the night to knot the score at 47-47.

The Toppers fouled the Blue Devils with 29 seconds left, which put the Blue Devils ahead by one.

The Toppers had the ball with ten seconds left and needed to score a triple to win the game, but a bad pass was intercepted by the Blue Devils. A quick foul allowed them to drain two shots and run the clock out for the final of 50-47.

“Obviously very disappointed that we lost, but was happy that the boys continued to battle. Anytime you can come back to tie with a 20 point deficit when starting the fourth quarter, it does speak well to your team’s character, heart and abilities,” explained coach Tristan Kittilson.

The Blue Devils had 15 attempts at the foul line with nine made compared to the Toppers with just five attempts and three successful.

Ross had the big night for the Hilltoppers with 19 total points from five doubles, two triples and he was 100 percent from the free-throw line with three out of three made.

Following was Petersen with ten points from five doubles, Kadinger with seven points from two doubles and one triple, Nick Mrdutt had six points with three doubles and Wallace had five points with one double and one trey.

“We have yet to put together a full four quarters of basketball, so we will continue to work hard and look to make improvements,” said Kittilson.

The Toppers have a full week of practice to work on those improvements and then they will be back on the court to take on the Colfax Vikings at home this Friday night starting at 7:30 p.m.