Skip to content

Dual at home ends in loss for Hilltoppers

By Kelsie Hoitomt

GLENWOOD CITY — Open weight classes helped keep the Hilltoppers from losing by a blowout to the Luck/Frederic/Grantsburg (LFG) Cardinals at the wrestling contest last Tuesday night at home.

The dual started at 132 pounds with senior grappler Hunter Dodds taking on Glenwood City’s freshman, Austin Wannemacher. The match ended in Wannemacher getting pinned a minute into the first period.

The Toppers tied the score at 6-6 after Marcus Ullom pinned the Cardinal’s 138 pounder, Luke Christenson in the third period.

Ullom had an early lead in the first period of 4-1 after two take-downs. In the second period he started down and got an escape and then two additional take-downs for a 9-2 score before the pin at 5:37.

The Cardinals went on a tear after that and chalked up five unanswered wins to take a commanding lead of 27-6 by 182 pounds.

At 145 was Tanner Lanning against fellow freshman, Dakota Schulz. Schultz got the pin in the first period, which added six points to the team score.

It was a similar situation at 152 with Jake Carlson matching up against LFG’s junior, Tristan Brewster. Brewster had three take-downs and a near fall on Carlson before he pinned him in the second period.

The scoreboard hit 21-6 after Hunter Chouinard lost on a 5-1 decision to Timothy Lund. Lund had a take-down early in the first period and then followed with a near-fall in the second. Chouinard gained his one point on an escape to start the third period.

The Cardinals’ gained an extra four points after Isaac Tuttle lost on a 4-1 decision to Tony Britton. The score was a wash after the first period and then Tuttle took the lead in the second after an escape.

Britton took control however after he got Tuttle on his back and held that position until the clock ran out.

At 182 was Blayze Wood against Josh Glover. Wood had a one point lead in the first period after a take-down. That lead continued in the second period with another take-down to put the score at 4-3 after Glover had a reversal.

Glover gained the upper hand in the final minutes with an escape at the whistle and then a take-down for a 6-4 final decision.

The Toppers finally posted their first points since the start of the match after seniors Jeff Kopacz and Sam Pewaush faced off. Kopacz was down by a point in the first period and then two points in the second with the score at 3-1.

However, Kopacz muscled his way through the third period and got an escape and a take down to win by a decision of 4-3 to put the team score at 27-9.

The Toppers closed the gap in the score after the Cardinal’s forfeited at 220 and 285, which put the score at 27-21. 106 pounds was forfeited by both teams and then the Toppers received another forfeit at 113 to knot the score at 27’s.

However, open spots in the Toppers’ roster resulted in the Cardinal’s winning after 120 and 126 were forfeited, which put the final score at 39-27.

The Hilltoppers were back in action on Tuesday night with the Quad at home that included Baldwin-Woodville, Unity and Turtle Lake. Next on their schedule is the invitational at Northwestern this Saturday (Dec. 21) that starts at 9:00 a.m.