Skip to content

Bulldogs serve up back-to-back shut outs

By Kelsie Hoitomt

BOYCEVILLE — The Bulldogs served up another beating on the gridiron last Friday night  against the Augusta Beavers for their second shut out of the season after a 48-0 victory.

The Bulldogs started the game with the ball and ran about four minutes off the clock before the Beavers took over for their first possession.

 The Beavers didn’t have the ball in their hands for more than a minute before Brady Schutts picked it off for the first interception of the game.

This led the Bulldogs to their first touchdown of the game after Isaac Wold carried the ball in for seven yards. They set up for the two-point conversion, which was successful after Logan McAbee-Thomas somersaulted into the end zone.

The Beavers were down and out after just three plays on their next possession due to pressure by the Bulldogs’ defense. Devonta Anderson broke through the line and chased down the Beavers’ quarterback forcing the team to punt on fourth down.

With just under three minutes left on the clock in the first quarter, the Bulldogs marched the ball down the field again and into the end zone on a four yard carry by Anderson. Brett Boda put the ball in for the two-point conversion for a 16-0 lead.

The second quarter started with some exciting action near the Augusta end zone as McAbee-Thomas got his hand on the ball during the punt, which resulted in a safety and an 18-0 lead with seven minutes still left in the half.

The Bulldogs started their next drive on the 47 yard line. Quarterback Hunter Anderson scrambled and found himself some room to run for a 20 yard gain and a first down.

This set the Bulldogs up for yet another touchdown after Hunter connected with Schutts. With 33 seconds left on the clock, Devonta Anderson ran the ball in for the extra two points and a 26-0 lead at half-time.

The third quarter started with the Beavers in possession of the ball. However, this was short lived after a fumble was recovered by Jordan Morse, which put the Bulldogs on their own 34 yard line.

A huge 66 yard run down the left side of the field by McAbee-Thomas resulted in the Bulldogs’ fourth touchdown of the game. Hunter connected with Jacob McIntyre for the two-point conversion for a 34-0 lead at 8:29 in the third quarter.

The clock began continuously running after Tyler Draeger carried the ball in for the Bulldogs’ fifth touchdown. Schutts tossed the ball up to the back corner of the end zone to McAbee-Thomas for the extra points.

With the clock running down in the third quarter, the Bulldogs scored their final touchdown on the following play after Hunter scored on the punt return, which resulted in the final score of 48-0.

McAbee-Thomas led the game in rushing yards as he ran for 107 yards against the Beavers in nine attempts. Wold rushed for 48 yards, Draeger had 47 yards, Morse had 38 yards, Devonta Anderson had 33 yards, Boda had 18 yards and Hunter Anderson had 13 yards.

As quarterback, Hunter Anderson went two for eight on completions with 18 yards gained and one touchdown pass thrown.

On the receiving end, Wold also had nine yards and Schutts had nine yards and the one touchdown.

The Bulldogs rushed for a total of 302 yards with 18 yards receiving and they held the Beavers to just 77 yards in rushing.

The Bulldogs will be back in action this Friday night (September 6) with their first conference game of the season in Mondovi against the Buffaloes starting at 7:00 p.m.