Skip to content

Hilltopper boys split Holiday BB games

By Kelsie Hoitomt

GLENWOOD CITY — The Glenwood City boys’ basketball team split a pair of games at its own holiday tournament December 27 and 28.

The Hilltoppers fell 49-46 Thursday night, Dec. 27 to the Chippewa Falls McDonell Mack in a contest that was close from start to finish. Glenwood City would rebound the following evening, Friday, December 28, this time coming out on top of another tight game as the locals bested St. Croix Falls 69-64.

Nipped by Macks

The Topper boys opened the 2012 Glenwood City Holiday Tournament against the McDonell Central Macks on Thursday night.

It was a back and forth battle with scores between the two teams as the game tied several times, but the Macks were able to pull off the 49-46 win over the Hilltoppers.

The Toppers carried the lead at the end of each quarter with the scores at 14-10 in the first, 29-22 in the second and 39-32 in third.

The Toppers had a strong performance through the first three quarters of play but fell apart in the final stanza and scored only seven points compared to the Macks, who put down 17 points in the period to pull out the win.

The leading scorer for the Toppers was Nick Mrdutt with 15 points from five deuces, one triple and he was two for two at the line.

Matt Schouten also had a nice game at the net as he played very aggressive which allowed for 10 points off of five deuces.

Also scoring for the Hilltoppers were Marcus Kadinger with eight points, Tyler Nueske with five points, Jake Hierlmeier with four points and Richard Ross and Todd Petersen each had two points.

The Toppers had only five attempts at the foul line with two of those made from Mrdutt. The Mack’s on the other hand were allowed 18 attempts at the line with just seven of those being successful.

Triumph over Saints

Friday night’s game was a better outcome for the Hilltoppers as they beat the St. Croix Falls Saints 69-64 in a pretty heated game of trash talking and shoving.

There was close to 20 fouls on each team and the Toppers had three players with four personal fouls even before the fourth quarter; as well as the Saints with two players close to being benched.

The Toppers were able to drive to the net and score consistently in the first half of the game as the score was 19-14 after the first quarter and 35-30 going into half time.

The Saints picked up their momentum after the half and added aggression resulted in extra fouls which led the Saints to get their first lead of the game at 51-47 going into the final quarter.

The Toppers were able to take the lead and seal their victory after Hierlmeier received two chances at the foul line after being body checked twice while taking the ball down the court.

All together the Toppers had a much improved night of basketball as they scored 19 points in the first quarter, 16 points in the second and third and then 18 points in the final quarter.

Schouten had an outstanding points game as he led the team with 23 points from nine deuces and he was five for eight at the line.

Also scoring for the team was Nueske with 14 points, Hierlmeier had 11 points, Ross and Mrdutt each had six points, Petersen had four points, Tyler Johnson and Kadinger each had two points and Chris Wagner scored a point.

Glenwood City, now 2-4 overall, will host rival Boyceville this Friday, January 4. They will remain home on Monday, January 7 to host a non-conference double header with the girls against Prairie Farm.