Skip to content

April trial changed to September for Colfax man charged with child assault

By LeAnn R. Ralph

MENOMONIE —  A Dunn County judge has rescheduled an April trial to September for a 43-year-old Colfax man charged with two felonies related to the alleged first-degree sexual assault of a child.

Jobert L. Molde appeared in Dunn County Circuit Court with his attorney Richard L. Yonko March 6 before Judge Rod Smeltzer.

Yonko told the court Molde was requesting a continuance of the jury trial because an expert witness was not available during the time of the April trial.

Dunn County Assistant District Attorney Renee Taber said the prosecution was not opposed to continuing the trial to a different date. 

Judge Smeltzer granted the change in the date to September for a two-day jury trial and set an August 6 deadline for special jury instructions and witness lists and also established a July 20 deadline for “other acts” evidence.

According to the criminal complaint, the alleged victim, who was under the age of 12 at the time of the alleged assault, told investigators Molde had sexual intercourse with her. Investigators believe the alleged assault would have happened between January of 2011 and January of 2012.

Judge Rod Smeltzer set a cash bail of $10,000 on January 24, 2017, and ordered Molde to have no contact with anyone under the age of 18 unless an adult is supervising.

Molde posted the $10,000 cash bail February 3, 2017.

Colfax Police Chief William Anderson was called to testify during the preliminary hearing February 10, 2017, and following the police chief’s testimony and cross examination by Yonko, Judge James Peterson found probable cause and bound the defendant over for trial.

Molde asked for a substitution of judge in March of last year, and Judge Smeltzer was assigned to the case March 20, 2017.