Thousands of students headed to various locations across the state in the past few weeks for their opportunity to perform in a Wisconsin School Music Association (WSMA) State Music Festival – one of the largest student events of its kind in the nation.
[emember_protected] More than 32,000 student musicians took part in WSMA State Music Festivals. Several universities hosted festivals on Saturday, April 29, including UW-Milwaukee, UW-Oshkosh, UW-Platteville and UW-Whitewater. On Saturday, May 6, festivals were held at Cardinal Stritch University, UW-Eau Claire, UW-Green Bay, UW-Parkside, Viterbo, and UW-Stevens Point.
In order to participate in the State Music Festivals, students must first earn a “starred first” rating in Class A (the most difficult music) at a WSMA District Music Festival, hosted by schools for students in grades 6-12. Students can select from a variety of instrumental and vocal solo and ensemble categories for their performances. Over 225 district festivals were held in Wisconsin during the past six months, involving more participants than any other student activity in the state.
Wisconsin School Music Association Rating Formula:
I EXCELLENT consistently outstanding
II VERY GOOD Very good performance with only minor shortcomings
III GOOD demonstrating accomplishment but lacking in several essential qualities
IV FAIR numerous weaknesses and/or errors
V POOR lacking in fundamental aspects of performance
Glenwood City results:
• Izzy Draxler & Maddie Oehlke – Piano duet
• Jacob Traynor – Tenor Solo
• Lane O’Meara – Musical Theatre Solo
• Elizabeth Wink – Alto Solo
• Anna Brigham – Soprano Solo
• Maggie Wallin – Musical Theatre Solo
• Taylor Drinkman, Kaylie Scalze, Olivia Scalze, Anna Brigham, Liz Wink, Maggie Wallin – SSA Vocal Ensemble
• Taylor Drinkman, Kaylie Scalze, Kelsey Magsam, Olivia Janson, Michaela Nyhus, Erin Davis, Rebecca Peterson, Annika Bauman, Tabitha Nadeau, Allexis Rassbach, Delanie Quinn, Esther Stauffer – Clarinet choir
• Elizabeth Wink – Musical Theatre Solo
• Taylor Drinkman – Soprano Solo
• Taylor Drinkman – Musical Theatre Solo
• Kaylie Scalze – Alto Solo
• Emma Scholler, Liz Wink, Mariah Voeltz, Andi Jo Britton, Mikayla O’Brien, Julia Nerby, Biri Mendez, Taylor Mortel, Kimberly Spaeth, Catherine Schurtz, Melina Schultz – SSA Vocal Ensemble
• Tressa Peskar – Flute solo [/emember_protected]