Skip to content

No plea deal yet for Elk Mound man charged with repeated assault of a child

By LeAnn R. Ralph

MENOMONIE  —  No resolution has yet been reached in the case of an 18-year-old Elk Mound man charged with the repeated sexual assault of the same child.

Chandler Russell James appeared in Dunn County Circuit Court June 10 with his attorney, William Schembera, before Judge James Peterson.

Schembera told the court that no plea deal had been reached and asked the judge to set a motion date or a trial date.

James is charged with the repeated sexual assault of a girl who was eight years old at the time the assaults allegedly started in 2012.

According to the criminal complaint, the alleged assaults continued until July of 2015, when the girl would have been 11 years old.

During an interview at the Midwest Children’s Resource Center in St. Paul, the girl said she could not keep the assaults a secret anymore, even though James had told her to keep it a secret.

A motion hearing is scheduled in Dunn County Circuit Court August 17 in the James case.

A two-day jury trial is scheduled in September.

Repeated sexual assault of a child, which includes at least three violations of first degree sexual assault, is a Class B felony that carries penalty, upon conviction, of up to 60 years in prison.

James is free on a $1,000 cash bail. As a condition of bond, he has been ordered by the court to have no unsupervised contact with juvenile females outside of a school setting and to have no contact with the alleged victim.