Skip to content

Former Colfax man ordered to pay $8,200 in restitution for fist fight and auto theft

By LeAnn R. Ralph

MENOMONIE — A 30-year-old former Colfax man sentenced to time in jail and probation for several counts of battery, stealing a vehicle in the Town of Tainter, and bail jumping has been ordered to pay $8,200 in restitution.

David J. Andrle appeared in Dunn County Circuit Court on October 17 for a restitution hearing.

Andrle was implicated in an incident that occurred in Colfax on August 15 when the Colfax Police Department, the Dunn County Sheriff’s Department, and the Colfax Rescue Squad were dispatched to River Street in Colfax where a man had been hit in the head with a gun.

Two men fled the scene in a vehicle that was later located in the Pioneer Bar parking lot.

One of the men, Matthew Adix of Colfax, was apprehended, but deputies were unable to find the other man, even with the use of a tracking dog and night vision instruments.

On August 16, a Dunn County deputy was dispatched to an address on 797th Avenue in the Town of Tainter in reference to a stolen vehicle.

According to the criminal complaint, the St. Paul Police Department had contacted Dunn County about a suspect named David Andrle who was operating a 1995 Chevrolet Express Van with a Wisconsin license plate number.

Online court records have listed Andrle as having a Minnesota address and a Colfax address.

The St. Paul Police Department requested assistance in making contact with the registered owner of the vehicle, and when the Dunn County deputy asked the owner of the van if he knew where his vehicle was, the man discovered it was not under the carport where he thought it was.

At the time of the August 16 incident, Andrle had signed a $650 signature bond in connection with a case of battery that occurred in Colfax last February; had signed a $200 bond related to a separate Dunn County case in which he was charged with domestic disorderly conduct in April; and a $500 bond in another Dunn County case in which he had been charged in July with disorderly conduct, carrying a concealed weapon and bail jumping.


During a September 9 court hearing, Andrle pleaded no contest, and Judge James Peterson found the defendant guilty of taking and driving a vehicle without the owner’s consent, substantial battery intending bodily harm, battery, and misdemeanor bail jumping.

Judge Peterson dismissed four counts of misdemeanor bail jumping, four counts of disorderly conduct, and one count of carrying a concealed weapon.

Andrle was sentenced to 108 days in the Dunn County jail and two years of probation.

According to online court records, Andrle will be serving time in the Dunn County jail until December 28. After that, he will be sent to Minnesota to serve a 17-month jail sentence.


During the October 17 restitution hearing, Judge Rod Smeltzer ordered Andrle to pay $8,201.22 in restitution that was connected to several cases, including the battery of Richard Crosby of Colfax in February.

According to the criminal complaint, Crosby had been giving people rides home from the Outhouse tavern at bar time when Andrle jumped into Crosby’s vehicle uninvited and requested a ride home.

Crosby attempted to give Andrle a ride home, but Andrle kept changing his mind on where he wanted to go and became aggressive in his behavior toward Crosby.

When Crosby eventually told Andrle to get away from his vehicle, Andrle extended his hand toward Crosby as if to shake his hand and be friends.

Crosby reached out to give him a handshake, and Andrle punched Crosby in the head with his fist.

During the ensuing fight, Crosby’s hearing aid was broken and his glasses were broken.

After the fist fight, while Dunn County deputies were talking to Crosby, they observed that Crosby had a bloody nose and a bloody ear, according to the criminal complaint.

A little over $4,000 in restitution was awarded to Crosby for replacing his hearing aid and glasses.

Mathew Adix, the other Colfax man implicated in the August incident of hitting a man in the head with a gun and then fleeing from law enforcement officers, is scheduled for another court appearance on December 30.