Skip to content

Vikings trample Tigerton-Marion

The Colfax football team traveled east last Friday night for a non-conference game against the Tigerton-Marion Wildcats. Tigerton was 0-6 for the season and 0-3 in the Central Wisconsin Ten Conference and the Vikings took advantage of a struggling team by scoring seven touchdowns by five different players in a 47-8 rout.

“Both teams needed a game for week seven and it’s hard to find games close by,” Colfax coach Mark Maloney said when asked about playing a team farther away from Colfax than the usual distance they travel. “Tigerton was a pretty good team just a few years ago but low numbers made them combine with Marion, and according to their coaches they are still having trouble drawing enough players to compete. This game gave us a chance to let some underclassmen play and several of them were pretty successful. And some of our starters had a chance to play some different positions which was fun for them,” he added.

For the second time in the last three games, Aliymu Davis started the night off with a bang as he took the opening kickoff back for an 87 yard score. (It was the same distance of his kickoff return against Glenwood City two weeks ago). Jarrod Rudi booted the extra point kick for a 7-0 lead with just 15 seconds elapsed in the first quarter. Andrew Adix scored on a five yard run four minutes later but Rudi missed the kick and it was 13-0. With just 43 seconds to go in the quarter, Davis added his second score of the night from a yard out and Jacob Steinke ran in for a two point conversion and a 21-0 Colfax lead.

Logan Mittelstadt scored his first varsity touchdown on a 26 yard pass reception from Rudi at the 8:40 mark of the second stanza but Rudi missed another kick to put the score at 27-0. Davis then got loose and broke off a 67 yard run for his third trip to the promised land and Rudi found the mark this time to increase the Vikings lead to34-0 with 5:50 left in the half. Andy Larson came up with his first touchdown as a varsity player on a bomb from Rudi, this time for a 62 yard score. Rudi made it 41-0 with his kick just before the half.

With several younger players on the field in the third quarter, the Vikings failed to score but they did their job defensively as they held the Wildcats scoreless. But 35 seconds in to the fourth, another Viking recorded his first touchdown as Jacob Klukas scored on a two yard run. The two point conversion was unsuccessful and with the score 47-0, Tigerton-Marion ran the ball in with 3:51 left and added a two point run for their only points. The game ended with Colfax lineman Trevor Olson, the biggest guy on the team getting a chance to run the ball.  Although he ran in a few different directions and carried a few Tigerton players with him, he fumbled the ball as he was being tackled.

Although Jeremiah Wait, the leading rusher in the conference, didn’t score, he led the Vikings with 92 yards on 12 carries, while Davis scampered for 91 yards on just six attempts. Rudi was 5 for 7 passing for 107 yards with Larson snagging two of them for 64 yards and Mittelstadt, Adix and Steinke all grabbed one.

Although it didn’t rain and the players only had to deal with windy conditions, the Tigerton field wasn’t ideal for football, as it was played on a converted baseball field according to Colfax running back Adix.

“There were a lot of muddy spots on the field and we had to play on areas of dirt that were part of the infield of the baseball diamond,” Adix said. “It made us appreciate how nice we have it on our home field,” he added.

Colfax will resume conference play when they travel to Mondovi this Friday. The Buffaloes are the defending conference champions but won their first conference game last week against Elk Mound.