Skip to content

Colfax pulls away in second half for big win over Glenwood City

GLENWOOD CITY — Despite being called for 14 penalties in the game, the Colfax football team used seven interceptions and seven touchdowns from six different players to topple the Glenwood City Hilltoppers 47-24 in the game played Sept. 19 and 20 in Glenwood City.

Yes, that’s correct. After lightning lit up the skies for the second game night in three weeks, the game was called just before the second half ended Friday night and resumed Saturday morning.

The Vikings couldn’t have had any better of a start when Aliymu Davis took the opening kickoff down the middle of the field before cutting left and streaking down the sideline for an 87 yard return and six points with just 14 seconds taken off the clock. Jarrod Rudi booted the extra point and Colfax had a 7-0 lead before many of the fans had found their seats.

On the Toppers first possession, Jarrod Rudi picked off a Nick Schone pass for his first of three interceptions in the game and returned it 18 yards to the 50 yard line.

After their first penalty of the game moved the ball back five yards, Jeremiah Wait broke free and zipped down the right sideline for a 55 yard score and Rudi’s kick made it 14-0.

After a quarterback sack by Ben Kragness, a tackle on the Topper receiver on a five-yard pass by Davis and a third down stuff on the running back by Zach Meyer, Colfax forced a punt.

Wait and Rudi moved the ball downfield with the running game and after a holding penalty on the Vikings, Rudi hit Sawyer DeMoe for 20 yards on a fourth and seven close to the goal line. An offside call put the ball back to the five, then Rudi faked a handoff and kept the ball for the third touchdown of the quarter. His kick made it 21-0 with 4:07 left in the first quarter.

The Toppers came out passing and Schone completed two for first downs before Davis stepped in front of one for another Colfax pick. But after picking up one first down, they were forced to punt the ball back to end the quarter.

Colfax fans were hoping the rout was on but the Toppers had other plans as Schone found Todd Petersen on a second down pass for a 53-yard score. A two point pass made it 21-8.

After three  running plays by Wait netted only six yards, Colfax punted again.

Schone took to the air again and completed five passes in a 12-play drive that was helped along by a holding penalty on Colfax. The drive culminated in a 13 yard touchdown on a screen pass from Schone to Mrdutt and another two point conversion was good, cutting the Colfax lead to 21-16 with 5:48 left in the half.

It appeared the momentum had shifted the Hilltoppers way after the Vikings recovered an onside kick attempt but fumbled the ball after a receiver made a catch for a long gain and Glenwood City recovered it. But three straight passes by Schone fell incomplete with the third one almost picked off by Davis, resulting in a punt.

Starting at their own 26, the Vikings moved quickly, and with a 22-yard run and a five-yard run by Wait, Rudi hit DeMoe for a long pass to the six. Andrew Adix took it in from there and Rudi’s kick made it 28-16.

After the ensuing kickoff, Kragness fulfilled every lineman’s dream when he batted a first-down pass by Schone in the air, snared it and ran 27 yards for the touchdown. But before the kick could be made, the lightning came and halted the game with 2:04 left in the half. After a two hour delay, it was decided to resume play at 11:00 on Saturday.

“We started off pretty good before our defense revealed some holes,” Colfax coach Mark Maloney said. “But our defensive coordinator (Matt DeMoe) made some adjustments that really paid off before the half ended.”

Now playing under blue skies and temperatures in the mid 60s, Rudi booted the extra point for a 35-16 lead. The teams traded punts and the half ended with Rudi snagging another interception and returning it 43 yard before he was tackled.

There was no intermission since the teams had a long enough break and Glenwood took the kickoff to the 50.

After two incomplete passes, Schone was tackled for a loss after a bobbled snap, but another Colfax penalty, this time a personal foul for hitting Schone after the play was dead, resulted in a Topper first down. Glenwood City took advantage of it and with Mrdutt running and Schone completing passes, Mrdutt finally punched it in from a yard out. Mrdutt added a two point run and Colfax led 35-24.

But with 6:39 left in the third, Jon Hayton stepped in front of another Schone pass at the Toppers 29 yard line. After a 24 yard Rudi to DeMoe pass completion on a tipped ball, Wait followed perfect blocking and ran right up the gut for a five-yard score. Rudi missed his first kick of the game but Colfax seemed to be in control up 41-24.

Glenwood tried to go airborne again but after another Colfax penalty for pass interference gave them a first down, Rudi jumped the pass route and pulled down his third pick of the game. DeMoe kept his concentration and snared another tipped pass by Rudi for a 46-yard gain, Wait and Davis gained yards on the ground, and moving into the fourth quarter, Rudi had all the time in the world to find DeMoe open in the end zone for the Vikings’ final score of the afternoon.

After another penalty on Colfax, Rudi’s kick was blocked but the Vikings were up 47-24 with 11:54 left.

The Vikings’ defensive backs got a workout the rest of the way as Wait, Davis, Adix and Jacob Klukas, who was filling in for an injured Jacob Steinke, all broke up passes from Schone.

After taking over on downs, Colfax ran time off the clock and had to punt the ball back.

But on a fourth down, Wait had his turn for an interception and the Vikings ran some more time off the clock with Wait doing most of the work. And finally, after Logan Mittelstadt recovered a Topper fumble, the Vikings ran out the clock to end the game.

“We knew Glenwood was going to pass and they have a good quarterback and great receivers,” Maloney said. “And they took advantage of our mistakes but our defense came through when we needed them to. We were patient on offense and had a good mix of running and passing plays. We responded very well whenever Glenwood made a run at us and that’s what these guys have learned to do. Move on to the next play and keep focused,” he added.

Wait ground out 189 yards on 28 carries, Rudi completed seven of 11 passes for 184 yards with DeMoe leading the receivers with 176 yards on six catches. Hayton led the Vikings with six tackles and Davis, along with his kickoff return, collected five tackles.

Nick Schone completed 21 of 51 passes for 281 yards for the Toppers.

Colfax is now 3-1 for the year and 2-1 in conference play. They will host Elk Mound this Friday night for the annual homecoming game.