By LeAnn R. Ralph
ELK MOUND — Electors in the Elk Mound school district have approved a $2.8 million tax levy for the 2014-2015 school year.
The total tax levy approved at the school district’s annual meeting August 25 of $2,835,367 represents a $57,543 increase — or 2.07 percent — over last year’s tax levy.
Even though the projected tax levy will increase, the equalized value has also increased, so the mill rate is expected to decrease by $2.02 per $100,000 of equalized property value.
For 2014-2015, residents in the school district will pay $977.71 per $100,000 of property value, compared to $979.73 for 2013-2014.
Equalized value in the district is projected to increase by 2 percent for 2014-2015, compared to a 1.4 percent increase for 2013-2014.
From 2010 to 2013, equalized value in the district decreased by 1.9 percent, by 3.3 percent, and by .1 percent.
The school district budget for 2014-2015 lists total expenditures for all funds at $15.5 million, compared to $15 million for 2013-2014, representing an increase of $502,130.
The fund 10 expenditures for the 2014-2015 budget are $11.33 million, compared to $11.07 million for the previous year, representing an increase of $261,338.
Elk Mound’s employee benefits trust fund as of June 30 contained a balance of $2.4 million, with total disbursements for 2013-2014 of $408,099.
Here are some of the other statistics reported in the Elk Mound school district’s budget hearing and annual meeting packet distributed to the public.
• The full-time equivalent teaching staff in Elk Mound has increased by 25.25 staff members over 20 years from 58.4 in 1993-94 to 83.65 in 2014-15.
• The average teacher’s salary in 2001-2002 was $42,959, and in 2013-2014, the average salary was $49,820.
• The average salary and benefits in 2001-2002 was $61,701, and in 2013-2014, the average salary and benefits was $79,970. The average benefits in 2001-2002 were $18,742, compared to the average benefits in 2013-2014 of $30,150.
• In 1997-1998, the Elk Mound School district spent a total of $2.4 million on salaries. The total of salaries and benefits combined was $3.2 million.
• In 2013-2014, the Elk Mound school district spent a total of $4.3 million on salaries. The total of salaries and benefits combined was $6.5 million.