ELK MOUND — Shepherd of the Hill Lutheran Church in Elk Mound will celebrate its 100th anniversary at a 10 a.m. service on April 7.
The theme will be “Path of the Shepherd.”
The guest speaker will be Pastor Greg Kaufman, assistant to the bishop.
Formed on April 7, 1913, 17 families met under the name of Den Norske Lutherske Kirke of the Elk Mound village.
Rev. A.P. Lea of Chippewa Falls was the first pastor to serve the church.
Today, Rev. Michael Wollman serves the church.
The original church building still stands, although visitors will attend services in a new sanctuary built on the south end of the former church and dedicated on October 19, 2003.
The cornerstone for the first church was laid on July 19, 1914.
The sacristy was added to the south end in 1922.
In 1958, an education wing was added to the west of the building and attached by a basement hallway.
In 1968, a new entry for the church was added to the north end of the building.
Over the ensuing years, a number of other changes have been made to the original church.
With the 2002-2003 building program, new church offices, gathering areas, and entries were added.
The sanctuary is more open and brighter than the original.
A stained glass window from the old sanctuary has been incorporated in a back wall of the new sanctuary.
The congregation presently serves 445 members.
A wide variety of opportunities are afforded members of all ages for education, fellowship, participation in services, youth groups, choir, and service to others in the community and surrounding area.
A new community-outreach program, Ruby’s Pantry, began last year and is available to any family or individual in the area.
The celebration on April 7 begins with a special service and communion at 10 a.m.
A free will offering noon dinner will be served in the basement dining hall. Reservations are required by March 24.
An afternoon program at 1:30 will follow the meal with guest participation, special music, and a time of fellowship.
All are welcome to attend the celebration events.