If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
MADISON — It’s late in the day and a beautiful night is on the way. You’re in your tree stand and you realize you don’t have the hunting regulation pamphlet with you. You don’t know if it is still legal to shoot. Now what do you do?
It’s very simple. The answer is in your palm.
Sunrise sunset QR code
Look at your Android phone. Tap on the new “Sunrise-Sunset” app and learn immediately the legal times of the day to shoot at your location. It’s so simple you’ll think it’s cheating, but it’s not.
Tested by Wisconsin conservation wardens, the app has been developed by the Department of Natural Resources Bureau of Law Enforcement to answer your needs.
Using a GPS system, the app tells you to the second the opening and closing time for various hunting seasons for your current location.
• No calculating is needed.
• No adding or subtracting of minutes is needed.
• What you see on the screen for an opening time or a closing time is when you can legally pull the trigger or when you should no longer shoot.
You also can use it to learn the opening and closing times for locations anywhere in the state or for future dates.
The app is really simple
Just turn on your phone’s GPS.
• Open the app and select the date you are going to hunt.
• Select the species you want to hunt.
• Set your location using the traditional state map areas (A-F) and the correct shooting opening and closing times will be displayed.
The app comes complete with a state time zone map tab, an informational tab and an email shortcut to notify the DNR about app needs and issues.
How to get it
Not only is it efficient, it’s cheap – that’s 99 cents cheap! Here are two surefire ways to get it:
• QR code on the DNR site: If you have a QR code reader on your phone, fire it up and read the code at http://dnr.wi.gov/news/Weekly/Article_Lookup.asp?id=2369. It will take you right to the Play Store. After selecting the Plays Store [dnr.wi.gov/u/?q=16], you’ll be brought right to the app.
• Download the app at the Android Market. Search for Sunrise-Sunset by the WI DNR.
Note, this app is not yet available in i-Tunes.