By LeAnn R. Ralph
ELK MOUND — The Elk Mound Board of Education has approved a property tax levy of $2.9 million for the 2012-2013 school year for the general fund and for referendum-approved debt service.
The levy approved at the October 22 Board of Education meeting represents a $236,000 increase (8.94 percent) over last year’s levy, although it is nearly $200,000 less than the estimate at the annual meeting in August.
The tax levy is less because general state aids came in higher than the amount estimated at the annual meeting, said Ron Walsh, district administrator.
Out of the total levy of $2.9 million, $2,009,409 will go toward the general fund, and $871,499 will be for the referendum-approved debt service.
The Elk Mound School District will receive $7.7 million in state aid. The estimate at the annual meeting was $7.4 million.
Elk Mound experienced an increase of 21 students on a three-year rolling average, which accounts for the increase in state aid, Walsh said.
Taxpayers in the Elk Mound School District will be paying a mill rate of $10.30 per $1,000 of property value. Last year’s mill rate was $9.40. The difference in the mill rate will amount to an increase of $90 per $100,000 of property value.
When the equalized value decreases, the mill rate increases. Equalized value in the district decreased this year. Last year the equalized value was $281.3 million, compared to this year’s equalized value of $279.6 million.
Equalized value in the Town of Elk Mound decreased by 1.8 percent and decreased in the village by 3.8 percent. Equalized value in the Town of Wheaton increased by 2.6 percent.
From 2002-2003 to 2012-2013, the average mill rate in the Elk Mound School District was $9.43 per $1,000 of property value. The lowest mill rate was $8.29 in 2006-2007.
District enrollment in 2009 was 1,024 students. This year’s enrollment is 1,087.
Elk Mound has 110 students open enrolling into the district and 58 students open enrolling out of the district, for a net gain in open enrollment of 52 students.
In other business, the Elk Mound Board of Education:
• Recognized Peggy Bodenburg with a notable educational contribution award for her work with the Parent Teacher Organization and tutoring students of all ages.
• Learned that a Veteran’s Day Program will be held at Elk Mound Middle School Friday, November 9, at 10:55 a.m.
• Learned that the Elk Mound High School Veteran’s Day program will be held Friday, November 9, at 2:15 p.m.
• Learned that the new after-school choir club at Mound View Elementary has 63 students.
• Learned that the Scholastic Book Fair will be held at Mound View Elementary November 9 through November 15.
The Elk Mound Board of Education meets next on November 19.