Out of the Past – 1-18-2016
10 years ago
January 17, 2007
Steve Shervey of MSA Professional Services of Rice Lake gave the village board a first look at his proposed design incorporating village departments into the former Cenex warehouse on Railroad Avenue. No cost estimates have been prepared yet. The maintenance shop would be on the west end, police and rescue squad facilities in the middle, and the village offices on the east end.
Anna Bethman, Kalyn Johnson, Ryan Hayes and Katrina Corcoran attended the Dorian Vocal Festival at Luther College in Decorah, Iowa, Jan. 7-8.
Some of the best musicians in the Dunn-St. Croix Conference will come to Colfax for the annual Honors Band and Choir Concert at 2:30 p.m. Jan. 27 in the high school gymnasium.
25 years ago
January 16, 1992
With this issue, Volume 96, Number 1, the Colfax Messenger celebrates 95 years of publication. It first hit the streets of Colfax April 30, 1897. Despite two world wars, the Great Depression of the 1930s and other obstacles, it has never missed a week.
Carl Hainstock’s six children came to Area Nursing Home Jan. 5 to celebrate Carl’s 90th birthday: Sandy Anderson, Wheeler; Ken Hainstock, Neoma Chilson, Lloyd Hainstock, Ruth Albricht and Marge Seehaver, all of Colfax.
Incumbents Jane Dobbs and Kathy Dunbar turned in nomination papers for positions on the Colfax village board in the April election. Incumbent Paul Wittrock did not turn in nomination papers.
35 years ago
January 21, 1982
Severe winter weather the last couple of weeks has taken its toll. Jump starting of cars is a common sight these days and was particularly prevalent the last two weekends when temperatures plunged far below zero and strong winds produced windchills of -60 to -90 Fahrenheit.
Richard Martzke, school superintendent, reported at the Jan. 18 school board meeting a warranty deed, signed by the Colfax village board, had been received for the transfer of school district land to Colfax Evergreen Cemetery. The deed had been approved by the school board at previous meeting, so the signing of it was merely a procedural matter.
Marguerite Erickson is not seeking re-election to the Colfax school board and will be honored with a plaque for serving 25 years on the board Jan. 21 during the Wis. School Board Assn. Annual convention in Milwaukee.
Enrollment at Colfax High School is down to 210 students, from 250, and there are about 530 students in the elementary school. The Colfax school board will have to decide by Feb. 22 if any teachers will be laid off for the 1982-83 school year.
50 years ago
January 19, 1967
Eighteen years ago at the April election in 1949, voters of the village sanctioned the opening of the municipal liquor store in Colfax by a majority vote of 50. The municipal liquor store closed January 13. In the April 1966 referendum, voters favored the sale of liquor over the bar, and business slumped at the municipal liquor store to where it was not profitable to operate.
Thermometers in the village read 40 degrees below zero Wednesday morning following a snowstorm on Monday that dumped five or six inches of snow.
The Northwest Rod and Gun Club is planning an ice fishing contest on Tainter Lake February 5 from noon to 3 p.m. The contest will be headquartered at Northwest Landing. Eldin Stevens of Wheeler is the general chairman. Contestants can fish anywhere on the lake.
65 years ago
January 17, 1952
J. M. Brunstad of Colfax received notice from the Department of Commerce U.S. Patent Office in Washington D.C. that his patent for a liquid cooler to cool milk or other liquids was granted December 12, 1951. He has been working on the cooler for 7 ½ years.
Colfax is in first place in the Middle Border Conference with four wins. Ellsworth is in second place, and River Falls, New Richmond and Spring Valley are tied for third place.
In spite of fog and ice hazards during the past weekend, Deepwood ski area had a full quota of skiers and visitors, according to Dana Bronken and Earl Hammer. There were 200 spectators and over 80 skiers from Menomonie, Spring Valley, Chetek, Chippewa Falls and Eau Claire, plus a few cars from Minnesota. The previous weekend, January 6, more than 500 people entered the winter playground. It takes a minimum crew of nine people to operate Deepwood.
100 years ago
January 19, 1917
Monday morning the mercury reached the lowest point recorded in this locality during the winter thus far, and reported readings as low as 40 degrees below zero early that morning. Since that time it has been “easing up” somewhat, and hopes are entertained that the worst is over for the present Winter.
Learn Telegraphy. Short hours. Good pay. Positions furnished. Catalogue free. North-western Telegraph School, Eau Claire, Wis.
Notice is hereby given that on the 5th day of February 1917, at 8 o’clock P.M. at the Municipal Building in the Village of Colfax, Wisconsin, the application of the Colfax Light & Power Company for the granting of a franchise will be considered. [/emember_protected]