The Boyceville Ambulance Service is offering free Radon testing kits to residents that are served by the service.
Matt Feeney, Director of the service, reported at the monthly meeting of Municipal Representatives last week that the service had received a grant from Dunn Electric and has started a Radon Awareness Campaign. Feeney noted that the Radon testing kits are available from the ambulance quarters on Race Street. “The kits are free of charge and the Ambulance service has a video on their web site with instructions and how to the testing.
According to an information sheet that the EMS service provides on their website: “Radon is a cancer-causing radioactive gas. You cannot see, smell or taste radon, but it could be a problem in homes. The Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States.”
Radon is produced by the radioactive decay of radium 226, which is found in uranium ore, rocks, shales, granite and to a lesser degree limestone, with small amounts of radon being released from the soil into the atmosphere. Most radon problems can be fixed by a do-it-yourselfer; but Feeney stated that the EMS service has a list of certified radon mitigators.
Kits are available at the EMS service facility at 504 Race Street between 9 a. m. and 6 p.m. But, Feeney suggested that you call 715-643-3911 first.
In his report to the group, Feeney noted that the EMS team is doing a CPR class and that they have 25 staff members now. He also reported what preparations they have in place for the annual Pickle Fest next week in Boyceville. He related that at last year’s event the service received 14 calls.
In his report to the group, fire chief Brian Marlette reported that the fire department has a new 4-gas meter in place of an older model that could not be repaired.
He noted that the department has been had 41 runs this year and that in July they had a false alarm and also stated: “we have a silo fire that we can’t put out.” He said that they were at the silo three times. He indicated that between the owner and the insurance company “they are going to tear down that silo.”