By Kelsie Hoitomt
BOYCEVILLE – The United Methodist Church congregation in Boyceville officially purchased a “new” building this past Monday, July 14.
Upon hearing that the building that once was home to St. John’s Lutheran Church was up for sale, members of the Methodist church took a vote on whether or not to make the purchase, which went over almost unanimously.
The decision to make the move was made rather easy due to the fact that the new building is all one level versus the split level in the current location.
The lack of accessibility in the current church has been an on-going challenge as the only way in and around was by staircase.
The new building has one main level for the fellowship hall, sanctuary, etc. There is some construction that needs to be done including building a handicap accessible bathroom.
Even though the old church building will be closing and put up for sale, services will remain there as usual until the transition is finalized sometime in September. A special service of decommissioning for the old building will be announced later this summer.
That Methodist Church building has been a part of Boyceville for nearly 100 years. The congregation was formed in the 1880’s, but met in a variety of homes for many years.
The plan for the Methodist Church building was decided in 1917 and then it was built in 1918. A dedication by Dr. John Thompson of Chicago and Dr. J.W. Joish, Superintendent of the Eau Claire District was on May 25, 1919.
Due to its longevity as a fixture in the community, there has been some sadness about the move. But overall, the response of the congregation has been enthusiastic, even from some members who have been worshipping in the old building for over 90 years.