By Kelsie Hoitomt
BOYCVEVILLE — St. John’s Lutheran Church by Pafko Park in Boyceville gave its final service this last Sunday, March 23.
The church has been a part of the community for 127 years, but due to a decline in members, the doors were closed and a “for sale” sign was posted.
The congregation was given a bittersweet “thanks-giving” service as it was called during Sunday’s 10:30 a.m. worship.
The services at St. John’s were led by Reverend Paul Carlson for eight years. He was assisted by a gentleman in the district out of Chippewa Falls at the closing on Sunday.
The history of St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church as stated in the Centennial Anniversary booklet, began in 1889 when it was first built by the handful of original charter members.
It is stated that the Articles of Incorporation were adopted and recorded in April of 1889.
In 1900 the congregation applied for membership with the Missouri Synod. After that it formed a parish with the St. Paul congregation in Glenwood City.
The congregation grew over time and it became necessary to make plans for a larger church. In 1944, Reverend John Wuebben was pastor and he decided it was time to start a fund for building purposes.
The purchase of 2 and 5/8 acres from John Brewer was made on October 22, 1947 and then immediate plans were started for a new house of worship.
On October 2, 1955 a special service was held for the laying of the cornerstone. The new church building, which is where it stands today, was dedicated on May 20, 1956.
In January of 1970, a merger of the Lutheran Churches in Glenwood City occurred and the new congregation took membership in the American Lutheran Church.
Many of the members from St. Paul’s Church then joined the congregation in Boyceville at St. John’s as it became a single parish.
Since that era, there have been various additions constructed and added to the inside and outside of the church.