Out of the Past – 8-7-2013
Out of the Past – 8-7-2013
10 year ago
August 6, 2003
Jared Perry of Colfax reported for duty with Naval Mobile Construction Battalion Three, Port Heuneme, Calif.
Several downtown businesses will be joining forces for their annual Crazy Day business promotion August 8.
Sale of a small piece of industrial park property to Dr. Larry Phillips was approved by the Colfax Village Board July 28. Phillips will use the property to expand his storage building business.
25 years ago
August 4, 1988
A wedding dance for Mark and Toni Osterberg will be held August 13 at the Viking Bowl.
Enrollment projections for the Colfax school district for the upcoming year show a drop of seven students from 822 last year to 815 this year.
A new sign for the Colfax Industrial Park can now be seen on Highway 40 south of town. The sign is 11 feet, 10 inches tall and 16 feet wide and sits on 22 ½ acres of land the village owns.
35 years ago
August 10, 1978
Dr. Dale K. Winget, a 1967 graduate of Colfax High School, has announced that he is assuming the chiropractic office of Dr. Gordon Holter.
Mr. and Mrs. Ron Buchner (nee Jayne Knoepke) announce the adoption of a girl, Janell Marie on August 2. She was born April 1.
Larraine Spehle of Eau Claire and Brian Felland of Colfax were married July 29 at Colfax Lutheran Church.
July 14 was the date of the marriage between Kathleen Donagan and Rick McCurdy at the Colfax Lutheran Church.
50 years ago
August 8, 1963
A “desperate” need for teachers for the coming fall school term exists, according to Dr. Lester M. Emans, Director of Teaching Placement at Wisconsin State College, Eau Claire.
Dr. and Mrs. B. J. Edmundson, Rt. 2 Colfax announce the adoption of a three month old baby girl named Ruth Elizabeth.
Among the 32 young women presented with pins and diplomas from the Luther Hospital School of Nursing was Ann Hovre of Colfax.
65 years ago
August 12, 1948
Marriage vows were exchanged in a pretty afternoon service at the Menomonie Lutheran Church August 4 between Doris Ilene Siler of Colfax and James Sweeney of Menomonie.
The civic boosters of Wheeler will sponsor the Wheeler Fair August 14 and 15. There will be five rides, horsepulling, base ball, dancing and an amateur contest.
Undergoing an operation for tonsil removal by Dr. O. M. Felland this week were Lyle and Robert Christianson and Mrs. Shirley DeMoe.
100 years ago
August 22, 1913
Our boys journeyed over to Elk Mound last Sunday and gave them a good game, the score being 7 to 4 in favor of Elk Mound. L. Fjelsted had two hits for the locals and Cappers had three for the Mound boys.
Joe Steimitz, while driving team and stacking grain on his farm six miles east of town, met with a serious accident from which he died Wednesday morning. The team became frightened at some cattle in the field and started to run, throwing him out and breaking one of his shoulders and injuring him internally.
Threshing has commenced in the 18 Mile Creek neighborhood and oats are yielding good.