By Kelsie Hoitomt
Three families in the area were honored at the 2012 Wisconsin State Fair for their Century Farm or Home on Tuesday, August 7.
These families include the Konder family, Roger and Deb Schug and Darryl and Nola Kovacik.
The Konder family farm, jointly owned by Kolt, Kraig and Crystal (Konder) Booth, was first purchased in 1858 from Noble Morris who was first deeded the land where Glenwood City now sits.
The land changed hands six times and in 1883 the land and other lands were transferred to Webster, Syme and Glover, which was later named Glenwood Manufacturing Company in 1884.
The original homestead, which is gone now, was purchased and built by Mike and Theressa Kacszmarski on February 23, 1894.
It was the siblings’ late great-grandfather, Frank Kondertowicz who bought the farm from the First State Bank of Glenwood on March 30, 1912 for $3,010.00. after moving to Wisconsin from Pennsylvania with his wife Theophilia and son, Frank Jr.
Their grandfather Frank Jr. farmed by himself after his parents died in 1929. He purchased it from his siblings, Lucille, Mary-the grandmother to Sue Amman, Anthony and Leo for $800.00 in June.
He was a skilled carpenter and fur trapper, which helped him make ends meet at the time.
He met his wife Regina, a cousin to the Jancoski family, in Milwaukee and they married in 1929 and had their first child, Bruce a year later and then their two daughters, Karen and Marcia in the late 1930’s.
Bruce, the father to Kolt, Kraig, Crystal, and Connie who passed away in 1994, took over the farm in June of 1966 after his mother passed away to help lighten the load on his father (Frank Jr. passed away in 1979).
Bruce and his wife Karen (who passed away in 1993) continued to work and live on the farm until he passed away in February 2010.
“My dad loved to farm, he was a real, true farmer through and through up until two weeks before his death,” shared Crystal.
It was then that the farm was passed on to the three siblings and it is Kolt who now lives on the farm and runs it, but is still helped by Kraig and Crystal and their children.
The farm was originally 80 acres and has since expanded to 172 acres, which is used to grow corn, oats and hay.
There was a house fire in 1929 and the home was converted into more of a shed until Bruce built a new Wausau home in 1968.
It was Frank Jr. who built the barn out of large oaks and a few of the sheds that are still standing today.
There has been no more than 20 cows milked on the Konder farm over the years, due to the simple fact that there are only that many stanchions in the barn.
For years the milk has been sold to Associated Milk Producers out of Jim Falls where it is used to make cheese.
The farm owned by Roger and Deborah Schug has records that date back to 1906 when it was owned by a woman named Anna Hartwig.
Hartwig sold the 80 acre farm to Roger’s grandfather Fredrick Schnitzler and his wife Laura.
They added onto the existing barn and built a pole shed and a silo.
It was also Fredrick Sr that planted over 600 trees that stood until 2007 when an August windstorm destroyed the majority of them.
They had a son, Fred Jr., who took over the farm after his parents passed away. It was he who added a Harvester silo to hold high moisture corn.
The farm switched hands when Fred Jr. passed away and then it was passed on to his brother Dave. It was Dave who eventually sold the farm to Roger and Deb in 1991.
This is where they raised their son Ryan, who now lives in Cumberland with his wife Angela and their three children Brianna, Gabrielle and Brently.
Since owning the farm, they have added another silo, a pipeline system, a manure system, calf barn and machine shed.
The Schug farm has about 45 milking cows on around 240 acres that is used to raise hay, oats and corn.
It was a century ago in April of 1912 that the Kovacik farm was started outside of Boyceville by George and Minnie Kovacik.
The couple lived in the granary that was on the property until they built their house in 1914.
The barn was built in 1922 for about $3,000.00. George was killed two years prior while cutting down a tree for logs for the new barn.
Minnie had two young children at the time, so she re-married her late husband’s cousin, who was named George as well.
Minnie’s son Charles married his wife Helen in 1944 and they had their son Darryl who now owns and lives on the farm with his wife Nola.
They took ownership over the farm in 1978 after Helen passed away and Charles re-married and moved away.
Darryl and Nola raised three children on the farm, John, Jennifer and Julie.
Since May of 2002, the Kovaciks quit milking the 35 to 40 cows they once had and they now rent out most of the land to the Hoffmans and other neighbors.
Darryl says now days he is retired and spends his time cutting firewood and fixing fences.