ELK MOUND — The salutatorian of the Elk Mound High School Class of 2016 is Krystal Nigon.
Krystal is the daughter of Barb and Mike Nigon.
The Colfax Messenger sent out a questionnaire to Krystal for a profile of the salutatorian.
• Describe the most memorable event that happened while you were in high school. My most memorable event during high school was the band and choir trip to Florida. It was an awesome experience being with friends in Disney World. Band is such a tight-knit group of people, which made it a great trip! Our marching band got to perform on the beach. Another great experience was being drum major in marching band as a senior. I have so many great memories from band that I will never forget.
• What were your favorite high school classes? My favorite classes were Band and Nonfiction, because the teachers were great and I learned so much from them. I felt confident that these teachers truly cared about me and wanted me to succeed, which made classes with them so enjoyable.
• Which activities were you involved in during high school? What was your favorite? The activities I have been involved in are Softball, Volleyball, Yearbook, Students Supporting Students, Prom Committee, FCA [Fellowship of Christian Athletes] and NHS [National Honor Society]. FCA was my favorite high school activity. It was great to be part of such a close bunch of people with the same values as me, and I developed great friendships through this group.
• What are your plans after graduation? One of the things I am looking forward to this summer is hosting a foreign exchange student from Spain for a month. I will also continue working at my job at Dunkin’ Donuts, as well as spending quality time with family and friends before heading off to college in the fall.
• Are you planning to attend college or technical school, and if so, where? I will be attending UW-Superior.
• What will be your major at college or technical school? I will be majoring in English Education. My passion in life is helping others. Teachers have been some of the most inspiring people in my life, and I want to be that person for someone. I chose English because it has always been my best subject, and I have loved reading since I was little. I think words are a beautiful form of art, and I want to share my love of words and writing with other people.
• What does it mean to you to be the salutatorian of the Elk Mound High School Class of 2016? It is an honor to be the Salutatorian of the class of 2016. It is something I have worked hard for and I am grateful for the opportunity to represent my class in this way.