Glenwood City hosted a Solo & Ensemble Festival on Tuesday, March 12th. Schools participating were: Spring Valley, Boyceville, Colfax, Menomonie, and Glenwood City.
The primary purposes of WSMA festivals are to:
• Establish standards of quality for music literature.
• Motivate students to prepare and perform to the best of their abilities.
• Improve students’ understanding of music literature and music concepts (performance with understanding).
• Provide opportunities for performance of original student compositions.
• Support improvement of school music programs through individual and group achievement.
• Encourage exploration of diverse musical styles and ensemble combinations.
Earning starred-first ratings and advancing to State were: Andy Buckley (2 vocal solos); Heidi Lieffort (2 vocal solos); Abbie Greenwell (2 vocal solos); Reed Gibson (vocal solo); Nikiesha Myers (vocal solo); Rebecca Nelson (vocal solo); Natalie Dworak (vocal solo); Lori Strangfeld (vocal solo); Equality Wilson (saxophone solo); Katy Toycen (saxophone solo); High School Show Choir; High School Chamber Choir
Earning first ratings in class A were: Natalie Dworak (vocal solo); Georgette Wendt (vocal solos); Delanie Anderson (vocal solo); Daniel Schneider (vocal solo)
Earning second ratings in class A were: Ashley Sault (2 vocal solos); Delanie Anderson (vocal solo); Lori Strangfedl (vocal solo); Georgette Wendt (vocal solo); Bayli Vacho (marimba solo)
Earning first ratings in class B were: High School Jazz Band; High School Madrigal; Reed Gibson (timpani solo)
Earning second ratings in class B were: Sara Schmock and Hannah Friedrich (vocal duet); Sara Schmock and Scot Schmock (vocal duet); Emily Evenson and Cari Dworak (vocal duet)
Earning a first rating in Class C were: Heidi Lieffort (piano solo); Nicole Nierenhausen (French horn solo)
Students performing 2 vocal solos in Class A did traditional solos and music-theatre solos.